Why become a member? ×

Frank Blank

Yesterday morning I purchased a Taylor GS Mini-e Bass and having played it all day (because it’s more addictive than crack) I think I can categorically state that I have found my perfect bass. Obviously it wouldn’t have cut the mustard in the thrash band I used to play in but now I play in an acoustic duo and having tried a Fender Kingman, a Takamine GB30CE a Washburn AB10 and 20 and a Godin A4 I had never found a bass that suited both me and the style of music I now play. Firstly I have quite small hands and fingers so the Taylor is a revelation to play, I have always (why I started this habit I don’t know) written most of my bass lines on an old classical guitar and sometimes had problems transposing those bass lines across to a standard size bass. The Taylor is so easy to play, I find myself consistently ‘making’ some runs and complicated parts that were 50/50 on other basses. Also, despite having played bass since I was 24 (I’m now 54) I had never been fully satisfied with the amplified sound from any of the basses I’ve owned, both electric and acoustic, so having played the Taylor for a while and loving its tone unplugged I was nervous to amplify it in case I couldn’t reproduce the same delicious sound. Well I needn’t have worried, with all the controls on the amp at their middle setting the bass sounds glorious.

So, essentially, I’m just posting this in case anyone is considering purchasing this bass. It’s a hefty chunk of change to shell out on such a unique instrument so if I can answer any questions about it or you want to try one out outside of a shop environment then let me know. I thought I’d ‘found my brand’ with the Godin A4, beautiful bass that it is, but for me, the Taylor, smaller, lighter and so glorious sounding, has trumped it. Now I’ll need to sell one or two (or maybe all) of my other basses to get another Taylor and because now they will just be gathering dust!

Edited by Frank Blank

I've had plenty of shortscale basses, and a number of bass ukes, but this falls halfway between the two. Interesting.

Have you played bass ukes at all? Can you offer a comparison?

Have you played through it at gig volume yet - I'm curious about feedback and how susceptible this bass is?

8 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

I've had plenty of shortscale basses, and a number of bass ukes, but this falls halfway between the two. Interesting.

Have you played bass ukes at all? Can you offer a comparison?

Have you played through it at gig volume yet - I'm curious about feedback and how susceptible this bass is?

I have played bass ukes and the Taylor is, imho, hugely superior. I will be playing it at gig volume tomorrow and will let you know.

I love them! - If I had the money I would buy one. So much fun and one of the better 'mini' basses out there. We did a BassChat review video here where I had a short time to get to grips with one, but even in the brief period before it was packed up to return to Taylor I enjoyed using it.

2 hours ago, dood said:

I love them! - If I had the money I would buy one. So much fun and one of the better 'mini' basses out there. We did a BassChat review video here where I had a short time to get to grips with one, but even in the brief period before it was packed up to return to Taylor I enjoyed using it.

I think that’s the key, apart from sounding exactly right for the music I play, they are just really good fun to play.

• Thanks 1