Why become a member? ×

How many strings does your go-to bass have?

Paul S

How many strings?  

135 members have voted

1. 1. How many strings does the bass(es) you usually use have?

• Exclusively 4
    • flip between 4 and 5
    • Exclusively 5
    • Flip between 5 and 6
    • Exclusively 6
    • I'll happily play anything

8 hours ago, miles'tone said:

After owning a couple of 5 strings I now only own a 4 string P,  tuned B E A D. 

Now I use the whole fingerboard and find those five lower notes gained waaay more useful than the five highest notes lost.

Something I've been toying with trying... 

33 minutes ago, RandomBass said:

Something I've been toying with trying... 

When I tried that I just moved the E to D strings one place across and added a .125 for the B. Worked fine, but found I preferred DGCF (yet another set of strings!). Now back to EADG as no current project needs anything lower.

On 12/18/2017 at 21:14, josie said:

You only get five lower notes, from the open B to the 5th fret E / open E.  But you get a lot more flexibility and easier fingerings further up the fretboard.

POINT!!  I'm still learning to use all four strings all the way up the neck instead of ploughing up and down the G-string (it's easier on the double bass than oh the electric because your thumb hits the heel of the neck just as your first finger hits D on the G string; hence a nice easy marker for "I'm an octave up on the string below"... the neck on my dolphin seems to go on for ever without any way of knowing where your are)   ... so I may not be ready for an extra one.  But yes.

Meahwhile listeing to that Dave Grossman on youtoob ... he's not exactly Rachael Podger, but it's impressive none the less.