Why become a member? ×

What to do? practice amps

Smash

Think this has been my biggest dilema, I bought a Lowdown 110 which I kinda thought its good for what it does but I want more natural sounding combo, so I trotted down to a local retailer and tried these various combos:

Peavey microbass
Ashdown After 8
Roland Cube 30
Roland Cube RX
Orange Crush 35B

I played around with all but come to the conclusion none sounded good enough, weirdly I found the smaller Ashdown the best but didn't have the volume.

What I need is a small combo that has a natural sound and can be played against light drums. Should I either bite the bullet and buy a Markbass CMD121
or a single 10" cab and use my existing Markbass head, or anyone know of another combo that isn't over 15Kg and has great tone and is under £200

Thanks

[quote name='Smash' post='325628' date='Nov 10 2008, 12:57 AM']Think this has been my biggest dilema, I bought a Lowdown 110 which I kinda thought its good for what it does but I want more natural sounding combo, so I trotted down to a local retailer and tried these various combos:

Peavey microbass
Ashdown After 8
Roland Cube 30
Roland Cube RX
Orange Crush 35B

I played around with all but come to the conclusion none sounded good enough, weirdly I found the smaller Ashdown the best but didn't have the volume.

What I need is a small combo that has a natural sound and can be played against light drums. Should I either bite the bullet and buy a Markbass CMD121
or a single 10" cab and use my existing Markbass head, or anyone know of another combo that isn't over 15Kg and has great tone and is under £200

Thanks[/quote]

IMHO you're asking a lot for a combo with those provisos.

If I were you, I'd get a lightweight quality 10" cab and use your existing Markbass head.

There's a very good cab here that I think you'll find will be perfect for what you want - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=30365"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=30365[/url]

I think your tone requirements outsrip what is possible with a practice amp. I'd recommend either building or commissioning a BFM Omni 10.5 and hooking it up to your Markbass head.

Personally, I love my Lowdown 110 and have even used it to gig a couple of times! (with PA support - a must).

[quote name='peted' post='325725' date='Nov 10 2008, 10:00 AM']I think your tone requirements outsrip what is possible with a practice amp. I'd recommend either building or commissioning a BFM Omni 10.5 and hooking it up to your Markbass head.

Personally, I love my Lowdown 110 and have even used it to gig a couple of times! (with PA support - a must).[/quote]

I think this is my problem, just trying to emulate what I hear on stage as to what I hear in a small bedroon via a tiny combo, not sure if it will ever be achieved.

Thinking now I would prefer a combo instead of the seperates more to lug about. Possibly might look for a 10/12" combo in the next price bracket from the budgets I tried.

The Lowdown is a very good amp don't get me wrong its just not my sound, again I am not keen on the Roland Cube either which many people love.

[quote name='charic' post='325841' date='Nov 10 2008, 12:20 PM']how about the ashdown perfect 10? Its a belter for 30 watts. 10" cone. Nt too heavy n sounds gd. I jst purchased a 110 tho to go with my 300pro =D[/quote]

Very happy with my Roland DB500.
150 Watts (sounds MUCH louder)
12" Speaker
Portable

I'd look around for a second hand combo, they're very cheap at the moment!

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='325910' date='Nov 10 2008, 01:42 PM']How about this one mate:

[url="http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/mb150s-iii--112/10173"]Gallien Krueger MB150S[/url]

Is well over your £200 budget but you might find a second hand one cheap if you're lucky.[/quote]
Had one it was alright but sold mine dead cheap, maybe the wrong thing to do now, I paid £500 for it OUCH

Without sitting in a room trying them all out I don't think I will ever get the perfect mini combo, something keeps telling me just buy a single cab as I know I would get the sound I require but its just another item to carry.

Someone told me to trade my LMK in for one of them F1 heads then you would think you always had a combo due to the size/weight of the F1 head.

I have had a thought now and think the best option other than a Markbass combo or Genz Benz combo (cost ouch) is to buy a separate Cab, something under 15Kg and a foot print of around 40x40 cm, any recommendations as to a single cab to be used for bedroom practice and small gigs with drummer (i.e. no guitars)