Why become a member? ×

Specific Power Supply Query - Help Needed

cLepto-bass

Right then, I was wondering if you kind people of the bass underworld might be able to help me out with what on the surface is a straight forward query but in reality is causing me some bother.

I am in the market for a decent isolated (likely expensive) power supply. However, there are some specifications with this request.

Firstly, I have recently gone down the route of a more modular Pedaltrain arrangement using 2 (or more) Nano's, therefore stipulation 1 is that it needs to fit under the new shape Nano board. In other words, it needs to be small. I am happy to raise the rubber feet of the board to accommodate a little extra height but the reality is that width and length need to be small.

Next, I have a few mid - high current draw pedals (Timeline, POG2, BlueSky, Super Pulsar), therefore the power supply needs to meet these requirements (I am only really after a one plug option at this time).

So after lots of online searching, one by one I have had to remove nearly all options leaving me with just the Strymon Ojai as a candidate.

Before I take the plunge and buy one brand new, I was just wondering if I am missing anything really simple and overlooked something that could be a game changer.

Any help on this would be great.

Thanks to all.

Edited by uzzell

The Cioks DC5 fits underneath also. 2x 300mA output and 3x 100mA outputs, not sure if that is sufficient, but it would be if you were planning on putting a supply under each Nano I guess! I've powered 400mA pedals from the 300mA sockets before so they are rated rather conservatively I reckon. Less overall output than the Ojai, but more flexibility with 12V and 18V options should you need those. And they make 3 way daisy chain leads so you can run multiple low-draw pedals from a single outlet.

Hotrox are the only UK stockists that I know of btw!

Edited by dannybuoy

+1 for Ciocks. Quality and relatively compact.

I have a DC8, which is handling 90% of my pedal board needs (I'm a 300mA output short), but it's only a bit of an incremental step up from the DC5 dannybuoy is using (just 1 extra isolated output and 100mA more).

Next proper step up from the DC5 is the DC10 :- 1,600 mA available and 8 isolated outputs. Will be what I'd look to get if I trade up.

Massive thanks for the information so far.

I probably should just confirm that I am hoping just to run one power supply for the time being with one eye to future development

[s]Yes, I was hoping to go for the DC5 but for some reason I seem to think that it might not be small enough to fit of the new shape Nano. Am I wrong about that?[/s]

EDIT

Ignore that last part, what I should have said was that the DC5 was originally discounted because of what I assumed to be a lack of correct mA outputs for my pedals.

Edited by uzzell

[quote name='uzzell' timestamp='1507734848' post='3387601']
Massive thanks for the information so far. I probably should just confirm that I am hoping just to run one power supply for the time being with one eye to future development... the DC5 was originally discounted because of what I assumed to be a lack of correct mA outputs for my pedals. [/quote]

Ciocks DC10 sounds like a potentially serious contender then? Worth checking out. Not cheap, but it will look after your pedals.

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1507741030' post='3387655']
Ciocks DC10 sounds like a potentially serious contender then? Worth checking out. Not cheap, but it will look after your pedals.
[/quote]

To my understanding, the DC10 will be too big to fit under the Nano board. Yes, slot under the board is approx 90mm and the DC10 is slightly smaller at 88mm but then there would be no room to attached the power cables into the outputs.

I could be wrong.

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1507741858' post='3387665']
In which case I had better sell you my DC8 and get that DC10 I've been thinking about getting for a while... :)
[/quote]

Same deal with the DC8 - all the outputs come out in the [i]wrong [/i]direction to be able to be fit under the Nano board.

Any other input before I resign myself to the Ojai?

My first suggestion would be a Strymon Ojai, which would require a little bit of foot-raising on a Nano/Metro board, however Strymon are soon to release the Ojai R30 which has a more flexible outputs (two of which are switchable 9/12/18v) AND it's slightly shallower in depth so will fit under a Nano or Metro without any modification. Each of its outputs provides up to 500mA of isolated power each. Running the switchable outlets at 12/18v will lower the max current for those individual outputs but still delivers a jot of juice. I power my entire main board off of a single Ojai with some judicious daisy chaining and absolutely love it. Should work incredibly since you're going down the route of several modular boards, as the Ojai supppies can be chained meaning you only need one mains cable running to the wall. 100% worth the money IMO.

Check the R30 out:
http://www.strymon.net/products/ojai-r30/

Edited by CameronJ

[quote name='uzzell' timestamp='1507742152' post='3387667']
Same deal with the DC8 - all the outputs come out in the [i]wrong [/i]direction to be able to be fit under the Nano board. Any other input before I resign myself to the Ojai?
[/quote]

Maybe I'm being a bit thick here, but can't you simply turn the power pedal around so the outputs are in the right direction? I'm a bit confused as to why the Ojai works and the DC8 /10 won't given that they all seem to have the power outputs coming out one side?

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1507743010' post='3387679']
Maybe I'm being a bit thick here, but can't you simply turn the power pedal around so the outputs are in the right direction? I'm a bit confused as to why the Ojai works and the DC8 /10 won't given that they all seem to have the power outputs coming out one side?
[/quote]

I am referring to the direction from which the output cables come form the power unit. The orientation of the Ojai in relation to the output direction all 'works' with regards to the available slot pace under the board. Neither the DC8 or DC10 have the same orientation. Take a look at the measurements on the websites.

[quote name='CameronJ' timestamp='1507742206' post='3387668']
My first suggestion would be a Strymon Ojai, which would require a little bit of foot-raising on a Nano/Metro board, however Strymon are soon to release the Ojai R30 which has a more flexible outputs (two of which are switchable 9/12/18v) AND it's slightly shallower in depth so will fit under a Nano or Metro without any modification. Each of its outputs provides up to 500mA of isolated power each. Running the switchable outlets at 12/18v will lower the max current for those individual outputs but still delivers a jot of juice. I power my entire main board off of a single Ojai with some judicious daisy chaining and absolutely love it. Should work incredibly since you're going down the route of several modular boards, as the Ojai supppies can be chained meaning you only need one mains cable running to the wall. 100% worth the money IMO.

Check the R30 out:
[url="http://www.strymon.net/products/ojai-r30/"]http://www.strymon.n...ducts/ojai-r30/[/url]
[/quote]

This looks interesting, but again because of the direction that the cables will come out of the side of the pedal there may not be enough space in the 90mm slot under the board. I would need to measure how long the non bendy part of the cables are.