Why become a member? ×

GK MB2-500

dangerboy

Yep, brought it back from the states. swapped over the jumper and works fine, will post a pic tonight of the jumper and fuse. I didn't change the fuse, not sure if there is a need and the PCB is marked T5A 250V. so a time delay 5A fuse, no mention of a second value. Might e-mail GK and see but i would imagine since it is a 250V fuse it is a one job fits all tbh.

Picture of jumper swap with terminals labelled. Just move the jumper from 100v position to the 220v position and that is it.
Just remembered the sticker that says to replace the fuse with the correct rating which would be "T5A 250V" according to the PCB, i can't see GK having two boxes of fuses to be honest, I would imagine EU amps have the same 5A fuse, then again i have known to be wrong, once!

Edited by Dizzy_G

Well I'm in Australia so the voltage is the same here as over your way (I take it you're in Ireland?)

Dangerboy doesnt remember about the fuse change and I cant find any other reference to it. I have email GK a couple of times but I dont think they want to know.

I'm actually getting the MB500 but I also read that they're identical. The MB Fusion also has the jumper that can be changed to amend the voltage.

Ok, just a jumper change and no fuse change...... :)

Cheers

Hi jonlad1,

Yes in Ireland, brought the amp back from the US second hand. Got a great deal on it, love it and not worried about warranty tbh.

This mod is entirely up to yourself what to do as any damage done is not covered by GK's warranty or myself, understandably.

On the fuse, I will probably make this switch myself now that I have put a bit of thought into it.

You can halve the value to 2.5A, ensure it is a T "Time Delay" to allow for more current draw on start up. From Ohms Law, W=V*I, so for 110v we get 110v*5A=550W (T5A Fuse), inversely for 220v we get, 220v*2.5A=550W (T2.5A Fuse).

This will do no damage only offer more protection, this fuse will blow quicker than a 5A.

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/2-5A-T2-5A-250v-Glass-electrosmart/dp/B0036AEQ6U"]This[/url] fuse spec is the perfect replacement @220v operation.

I think you would need to be driving the living sh*t out of the amp to get the fuse to blow tbh. Initially I thought the fuses would come only in 2A and 3A ratings, while you have it open you may as well replace the fuse with a 2.5A. Make sure it is T rated and not F.
I'm going to replace mine too to be safe, have to open it up once again. Any good electrical store should be able to give you the correct fuse, go to where sparks go as opposed to a chain store, you'll be able to buy one rather than a bag of ten.

Are your plugs fused in Australia or is the fuse in the socket?

I have no idea where the fuses are (I'm actually from the UK :) )

I'm certainly not going to be driving it to buggery, not for the moment anyway.

I'll have a looksie.

I will report back when I have and once I'm moved the jumper.

Thanks again for your help. I'm sure this thread will help others :)

Double check everything before powering up, just check the fuse in you kettle cord, it prob has a 13A fuse in it, if it has a 3A or 5A it might pop.

The circuit ratings in the GK manual refer to the socket on the wall and the circuit behind that if you are wondering. It applies to the minimum load the circuit is capable of handling. 10A UK and 15A US, tbh for a domestic supply this would not be an issue.

The internal 5A will provide protection to get you started.

Edited by Dizzy_G

That is fine for your kettle lead, a bit surprised at 10A normally 13A.

The more important one would be the internal one, switch it to T2.5A, make sure it is a T rated fuse, if you get a F rated it will blow quicker and possibly as the amp starts. The internal fuse will offer more protection than the one in the plug.

One question - Have you had the fan startup on yours? I've played mine till its got warm, not hot, but the fan never starts up.

I had to unplug the little white connector from the chassis lid when removing the lid to change the jumper.

Just a bit para that I've busted it...

Don't think my fan has kicked in yet, i have only used in an apartment so far so have not driven it hard yet. Has gotten warm but not hot.

The fan is thermal sensing as far as i know and only comes on once it gets very hot, i'd imagine it should be fine.

Edited by Dizzy_G

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Merton' post='1073107' date='Dec 30 2010, 08:18 PM']I just "accidentally" phoned Mark @ Bass Direct (twice, bloody HSBC...) and "accidentally" paid for an MB200 to be my home/practice amp. Now just gotta wait for the tiny thing to arrive :)[/quote]
At least the postman will be able to put it through the letterbox.