Why become a member? ×

If you could only choose one filter pedal

Al Krow

[quote name='CameronJ' timestamp='1508775285' post='3394331']
I've just bought an Emma Discombobulator V2...

I have a problem.
[/quote]

Excellent.

Yes.

[quote name='CameronJ' timestamp='1508775432' post='3394333']
I need to get me some of those.
[/quote]

And with your best interests (and preservation of any remnants of bank balance after your recent BD trip) at heart, can I just say "no you [i]really[/i] don't need all the stuff on Blablas' board!" Just occasionally less is more and more is less! :D

Edited by Al Krow

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1508777918' post='3394367']

Excellent.

Yes.

And with your best interests (and preservation of any remnants of bank balance after your recent BD trip) at heart, can I just say "no you [i]really[/i] don't need all the stuff on Blablas' board!" Just occasionally less is more and more is less! :D
[/quote]

No, I meant the stomp switch cover things!

[quote name='Quatschmacher' timestamp='1508787862' post='3394463']

Haha! How many is that now? (I’m on 6.) It’s pretty cool, isn’t it?
[/quote]

5 currently for me. Not that it’s a competition or anything...:lol:

Ok so I know how much this costs now (euros 289, thanks to DB) :)

Forward sweep only or reverse sweep also. Low pass and not band pass?

And how low and how well does it track as an octaver?!...I wonder if there's a decent / reliable review out there on the net as I suspect Quatsthingy will be the first in the UK to buy before the rest of us try! :)

Edited by Al Krow

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1509050631' post='3396369']
Ok so I know how much this costs now (euros 289, thanks to DB) :)

Forward sweep only or reverse sweep also. Low pass and not band pass?

And how low and how well does it track as an octaver?!...I wonder if there's a decent / reliable review out there on the net as I suspect Quatsthingy will be the first in the UK to buy before the rest of us try! :)
[/quote]

Not at the moment. I’ve spent a small fortune these past two weeks. I wonder if I can persuade Darren at fxpedalrentals.com to get one in though.

Edited by Quatschmacher

Guys - I've been inspired by Dood "the dude" to think about putting together a [i]portable[/i] gigging mini board for 2018.

I've so far decided on the following more compact substitutes for my larger main board items as follows:

1. Zoom MS-60B [in place of Zoom B3n, Aggie TLC and Aggie Chorusaurus] for tuner, compression, EQ, preamp and 'non core' effects of tremolo, chorus, delay, octave up, cab sims
2. TC Mojomojo [in place of the Two Notes Le Bass] for dirt
3. Ciocks DC5 [in place of the DC8] for power
4. Smoothhound wireless [to move across!]
5. Pedaltrain Nano+ [in place Pedaltrain Classic Jr]

Grateful for your thoughts on the final piece of the jigsaw:

What would you recommend for a compact pedal that combines both excellent octave down and decent filter option (this is currently being provided by a combination of COG T16 plus Aggie FT plus SA Manta on my main board). I appreciate that there may be precious little in the way of a compact pedal that can cover all three, but suggestions very welcome please!

Edited by Al Krow

[quote name='CameronJ' timestamp='1509191181' post='3397227']
You missed a MojoMojo in the classifieds! It's still for sale!
[/quote]

You're right I did overlook that - but hey I guess I get the benefits of buying new, for once (in terms of warranty and ability to return) - for just an extra £12 as Andertons are currently selling at a [url="https://www.andertons.co.uk/tc-electronic-mojomojo-overdrive"]ridiculous discount[/url] (just 5 left in stock). Also means someone else can capitalise on my oversight and get the one in the FS section :)

So Mr C is there a single compact pedal that can do both excellent octave down and excellent filter to get 90% of the way there to what I can get with my COG T16 and Aggie FT? The COG certainly doesn't quite get there by itself (its filter is nothing like as good as the Aggie FT's) and I suspect the 3Leaf Octavbre Mini may not quite either.

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1509192088' post='3397234']

You're right I did overlook that - but hey I guess I get the benefits of buying new, for once (in terms of warranty and ability to return) - for just an extra £12 as Andertons are currently selling at a [url="https://www.andertons.co.uk/tc-electronic-mojomojo-overdrive"]ridiculous discount[/url] (just 5 left in stock). Also means someone else can capitalise on my oversight and get the one in the FS section :)

So Mr C is there a single compact pedal that can do both excellent octave down and excellent filter to get 90% of the way there to what I can get with my COG T16 and Aggie FT? The COG certainly doesn't quite get there by itself (its filter is nothing like as good as the Aggie FT's) and I suspect the 3Leaf Octavbre Mini may not quite either.
[/quote]

EHX bass microsynth maybe?

By “filter” do you mean “envelope filter” (a la FT) or do you mean “(static) lowpass filter” (a la T16/Octamizer)?

Edited by Quatschmacher

[quote name='Quatschmacher' timestamp='1509196523' post='3397262']

EHX bass microsynth maybe?
[/quote]

Bingo. This is what you’re after. Octave, Filter, Fuzz all in one. You’ll need to spend a little time “learning” the controls as there are a lot of options on deck, but it’s a fun process from what I remember. Really need to buy one myself.

[quote name='CameronJ' timestamp='1509196725' post='3397265']

Bingo. This is what you’re after. Octave, Filter, Fuzz all in one. You’ll need to spend a little time “learning” the controls as there are a lot of options on deck, but it’s a fun process from what I remember. Really need to buy one myself.
[/quote]

The bonus here is that the filter can be either sweeping or it can be static (by setting the start and stop frequency to the same value), at least from my understanding, not having actually played one. There are others on here who have and who’ll be able to confirm or refute my claim.

Edited by Quatschmacher

Lol gents! So whilst the [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]EHX bass microsynth[/font][/color] may be the dog's organs, I'm after something [i]compact[/i] for a portable mini board (and ideally analogue but I can live with digital for synth) that will take up less space than a COG T16 and a Aggie FT combined. I think you've just recommended something that is twice the size? :)

Bear in mind that I think these two pedals individually are both really good. But rather than get a duplicate COG T16 and Aggie FT (which would be the sort of thing a boring accountant might be tempted to do!); if there is a single pedal that takes up no more (and hopefully less!) space than these two pedals combined that delivers a great octave and a great filter, I'd love to know.

PS I've got the dirt side covered with the Mojomojo so that bit of the EHX would, I suspect, be redundant.

Edited by Al Krow

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1509203053' post='3397313']
Check these out Al:
[url="https://www.banananaeffects.com/products/matryoshka"]https://www.bananana...ucts/matryoshka[/url]
[url="http://www.dedalofx.com.ar/byte1"]http://www.dedalofx.com.ar/byte1[/url]
[/quote]

Hmmm...those BOTH look really interesting options, cheers DB! I'll have a listen.

Just quickly - do you know if either or both can do a standalone "fully" clean octave with no synth overlay? You'll have seen from the T65 thread that the combination of synth and octave can sometimes give rise to [i]"[/i][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][i]A sort of fluffy distortion even when on 'clean' only. It wasn't overly loud but it drove me mad." [/i]To quote the last poster.[/font][/color]

[quote name='Quatschmacher' timestamp='1509204374' post='3397324']
I need to stop reading this thread. That banana thing is cool!
[/quote]

Face it Quatsetc. (actually there was a store called Books Etc.) you're hooked :) And don't forget the "an" in banANana.

Edited by Al Krow

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1509205702' post='3397336']
No idea about the details of either pedal I'm afraid, just giving you more ideas of stuff to spend your money on!
[/quote]

Hah! Had a listen to both clips and they are definitely both a bit whackier than the COG T16 plus Aggie FT. So your two suggestions would be great fun for mucking about at home with (or in some whacky pyschedelic originals band) but a non starter in a covers set, So you haven't parted me from my cash on this occasion just yet DB! :)

Edited by Al Krow

[quote name='Quatschmacher' timestamp='1509204374' post='3397324']
I need to stop reading this thread. That banana thing is cool!
[/quote]
[quote name='CameronJ' timestamp='1509212006' post='3397371']
Oh man, that Bananana looks like exactly the kind of pedal I would spend my money on :o
[/quote]

You both should urgently join a modern prog rock pyschedelic band. You could call it "Unroyal Blood" and maybe feature two bass guitarists a drum machine and a plethora of filter (and octave) pedals. I'll lend you my Boss RC-30 Looper. Oh yes, you'll need a decent compressor pedal. :P

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1509216588' post='3397405']
Try a Bass Synth Wah Al, easy to obtain cheap and easy to sell on. Great octaver and an OK filter!
[/quote]

Cheers DB - but I'm not really sensing that would be a step up from a COG T16 + Aggie FT? I need something better than "ok" in the filter dept, and not much space saving either by getting the BSW (if any).

I think I may just have to go for two separate pedals but try a couple of really good alternatives to have a bit of variety that I can swap from my home / recording board to my gigging mini board.

I guess the two alternatives at the top of my list would be the TC Sub'n'up mini (in homage to Dood) and the Emma Discumbobulator V2, although that is not a small footprint pedal. Or if I'm playing it "safe" the MXR M82.

Doesn't Josh Broughton do anything sexy in this space (octave + filter) in terms of a single pedal?

Edited by Al Krow

No but he can probably build you a Broughctave & JoshWah in the same box, or a combination with reduced features to keep the size down.

Or go COG custom of course. And if you're going custom then you can get the dirt built in too!

Is all this mini board business really necessary? Just sounds like an excuse to buy more pedals!

Edited by dannybuoy