Why become a member? ×

NBD: Harley Benton Fretless Jazz....and other recent gear.

Raslee

So as requested NBD day and a quick update on recent other gear. I'm not one for massive amounts of typing...do enough of that in the clinical day job so it will perhaps resemble something similar to a John Humphrys morning weather forecast (Radio 4).
Obligatory picture:

Harley Benton Jazz, B Stock...cost £141 to my Devon door. No marks that i've found yet - like new! Amazing ash one piece body - lovely grain, resonant. heavy @ 9.6lbs but doable and balances well. Sound - pretty decent at stock. PU's seems good but i may throw some spare VanderEnd customs in at some point as they're great. Pots are crap, crackly tone and only effective at the nearly off point - will replace. Neck is superb - very smooth and the action is super low without buzz - I did tweak the truss rod a little to achieve this. Would i buy again? - yes totally 8/10 for me. Bargain & a great bass to modify!

Recently bought a Ashdown Retroglide 800 amp - bought Andertons B-stock £340 to my door. Slightly bigger and heavier than anticipated but not a problem. Fan not noisy on mine like other commentators have mentioned. Simple to use with the EQ controls only, great tone vintage to hifi - warm core tone which I like. Not sure its really 800W, my Orange OTB appears louder. Simplicity is its beauty and i'm really happy with it. Not gigged it yet though. I like it but would not pay the original RRP of over £700...funk that! but it is cool, retro, and packs a punch.

Also impulse buy of a TC elec. BH250. Again bigger than anticipated, generally ok but not exciting, Tone print a good novelty, like having the built in tuner too, overall frickin loud. I like it but may sell eventually and get an Elf once I've read a few decent reviews about that.

Encore 3/4 size P - bought this for the daughter locally, surprisingly good core tone, light, action resembled an Olympic high jump but relatively sorted now - few buzzes. 7yr old daughter loves...Daddy loves it better.

Over & out :)

Edited by Raslee

Yes, looks like a really good one. What I really like about HB basses are the necks, they're worth the money on their own, imho. My new HB PB-50 arrived with the bridge fitted a bit skewed, but as I swapped out the bridge anyway it wasn't much of an issue.

Better stop now, if we make too much of a fuss everybody will want one and then the prices will go up... ;)

Edited by discreet

I love my HB Fretless, it has one of the best sunburst finishes I have seen and the grain is stunning. Looking at mine I would say that the lines are probably some kind of wood or a wood filler/resin. Definitely not plastic on mine.

I was tempted to mod mine, but to be honest I don't play fretless a lot and the quality is great so its seems a waste of money at the moment.