Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Retroglide

discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1504978141' post='3368683']
Seems very affordable to me, especially compared with GAK's retail price.

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ashdown-Retroglide-800-Digital-Bass-Amplifier-800w-/272829444412?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368"]http://www.ebay.co.u...725.m3641.l6368[/url]
[/quote]

Just bought one of these and I'm really impressed - great core tone and a lot of tonal variation with the EQ, nice warmth - very powerful too. I payed £340 for mine from Andertons but some retailers have had them up for over £700.

[quote name='Raslee' timestamp='1505077360' post='3369364']
Just bought one of these and I'm really impressed - great core tone and a lot of tonal variation with the EQ, nice warmth - very powerful too. I payed £340 for mine from Andertons but some retailers have had them up for over £700.
[/quote]

Thanks for that. Retroglide GAS pressure is building... :)

[quote name='Raslee' timestamp='1505077360' post='3369364']
[/quote]

Some complaints that that these are quite modest in overall volume, given the high wattage, and that the fan's noisy? Would you agree?

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1505115801' post='3369493']
Some complaints that that these are quite modest in overall volume, given the high wattage, and that the fan's noisy? Would you agree?
[/quote]

Hmmm, yes I'm a little skeptical about the overall output volume, probably not 800W but still easily loud enough for most band situations i should imagine. I will be trying the RetroGlide in a band context later this week at a rock band rehearsal and then a reggae gig at the weekend. I didn't think the fan was over noisey in my opinion. I've also just acquired a TC BH250 head and i thought the fan on that was considerably noisier by comparison.

As I say what i do like is the simplicity of the EQ for tonal variation, it feels more targeted at certain frequencies to get your sound (hope that makes some sense), and I did also like the core tone. It has a nice warmth with the 100hz boosted to get a vintage vibe but equally with tweaking a bit you can get good modern sounds. I like it but have only tried it at home so far, I would not pay the high prices for it but i feel i got a good amp for the £340 i paid from Andertons.

I use mine with Barefaced Two10 and it works a treat. As Raslee has commented you can get an array of sounds easily from 'modern to vintage' so it does not matter to much what cab you have you should be able to get the sound you want. It also enables room boundary problems and bass boom to be dealt with.
Noisy fan - maybe a little but not overtly noticeable in a band situation. Low output - I think the pot on these is more gradual. In a practice situation with loud drummer and more reasonable guitarist the input volume is at about 2 o'clock with no 'overload light illuminating, while the output is at 1 o'clock.