Why become a member? ×

Peavey Cirrus

Al Krow

Reintroduced back in Spring 2016, these do look great (to me anyway!) with their neck through design - remind me not a little of the Ibanez BTB: http://www.notreble.com/buzz/2016/01/27/peavey-reintroduces-the-cirrus-bass/

Priced at $1,000 to $1,500 in the US which will I guess translate into the same amount in £ over here, they're clearly being pitched against some quality competition in that price bracket.

Active only, 18V preamp and 35" neck will appeal to some but not everyone e.g. I really value having an active / passive option so that I can play my basses in passive mode when it seems appropriate to do so and something that my Sandberg, Ibanez and Warwick basses all provide.

They don't seem that common over here? - I've not come across anyone in my immediate network who has one of these. So if you've played or own one of these, I'd be really interested in your opinions of them and how they compare to other basses you've played / owned?

AK

I played a 5 string in Wunjos a few years ago, and my main bass at the time was a Peavey Grind 6. Basically a budget, passive Cirrus. Probably because my first bass was a Peavey Dynabass, Peavey necks are the most comfortable necks I've ever played.
The Cirrus felt great in the hands and the tone was lovely. I'd describe it as "warmer" than a lot of actives I've played but we make fools of ourselves when we attempt to describe tones through text. There's a guy on Youtube that does bass lessons, called Josh Fossgreen and he as a Cirrus. His videos are well recorded, so you'd get a decent taste of the tone from them, I think.

I would've saved up and bought a Cirrus by now except that I ultimately had to admit, as much as I love the tone, I just can't get on with the scale length.

@Al Krouw

Not much chance of trying one here yet. B&M the UK distributor can't give any details and Sweetwater over in the US wont ship them to the UK.
Another seller in the US told me they wouldn't ship as they have rosewood boards.

I took this up with Peavey themselves asking " What the bloody hell you doing releasing a bass with restricted materials ?" and " What idiot approved the idea, has he since started work with your competitors ?"

Peavey replied saying all Cirrus came with CITES paperwork but gave no answers to my other questions.

Sweetwater started taking pre-orders end of Feb this year but as yet I've only found 2 reviews. Oh there's plenty of opinions but most of them are confused with the earlier BXP Cirrus,and most of them are further confused and concern the later 34" scale mega cheapie BXP.

Here lies a big problem. The only place so far to buy the re-issue is in the US,getting honest reviews from Americans on products outsourced to the Far East is neigh on impossible. This Scotsman would be hard pressed to admit Indian Whisky was Whisky,but I would drink it :)

Anyway the only honest IMO opinion I heard from Tony in St Louis (TB'er Dr Cheese). He reckoned the re-issue nailed the Cirrus tone (very mid intense) and felt the build was nearly as good as the discontinued US models. The "Power Plate" throws a few folk but it's only a sales point, the patent on the old "FatHead" plate expired years back so this is Peavey's take on it.

The Cirrus is a reasonably lightweight bass,2 of mine will around 8-8.5lb. Have Gotoh tuners and ABM bridges,3 band EQ and are 35" scale. As to how they compare to other basses is a toughie, they were top of the line for Peavey and I've never owned anybodyelse's top of the line bass :D

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1504190497' post='3363289']
Not much chance of trying one here yet.... As to how they compare to other basses is a toughie, they were top of the line for Peavey and I've never owned anybodyelse's top of the line bass :D
[/quote]

Hey - thanks very much for taking the time to share all of that, much appreciated!

The VFL pickups in these are active, which I believe is why it has two batteries.
I tried one out, but TBH it was too middle of the road for me. It had everything I wanted though, the neck-thru design, 24 frets, string-thru.
They even have dual-acting truss rods IIRC.

Edited by Killed_by_Death