Why become a member? ×

The Wrecking Crew Documentary

louisthebass

Managed to finally see this movie doc, and along with SITSOM and "Muscle Shoals", has got to be one of the best music documentaries I've seen in a long time. Also seemed appropriate with the recent passing of Glen Campbell, who was part of that outfit.

It's still amazing (even in this day & age) at the body of work they produced in the commercial music and film market from the late 50's to the mid to late 1970's, and none of it ever comes across as being cold & mechanical.

Carol Kaye and Joe Osborn get a fair bit of air time, and the stories of Hal Blaine and Tommy Tedesco are tinged with sadness, but at the same time fascinating to see and hear. A bygone age we'll never see again, especially with the advent of technology in the last 10 years...

Recommended viewing :)

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1503700967' post='3360476']
Is this the one with Will Lee et al that's been Kickstarted like crazy on Facebook? Didn't know that was out yet.

And, yes, SITSOM and Muscle Shoals are great too, so long as you can filter out Bonio's white ring on the latter...
[/quote]

Will Lee doesn't feature in the version I've seen - it looks like a great chunk of it was filmed in the late 1990's when the likes of Tommy Tedesco and Al Casey were still alive. All the interviews are (mainly) with the musicians and some of the artists who recorded with them.

There's a copy kicking around on YouTube at the moment, well worth spending an hour and 40 mins of anyone's time :)

Am I right in thinking there are basically two versions of the same film? I read in line that the film was started in 1996 and released to film festivals in 2008? It seems they couldn't get licenses for the music they wanted to use, so they started a kickstarter. It seems the latest version was properly released in 2015.

If I'm wrong Inwould love someone to correct me because I'm trying to find the right film to watch, it sounds fascinating.

[quote name='NJE' timestamp='1503779995' post='3360905']
Am I right in thinking there are basically two versions of the same film? I read in line that the film was started in 1996 and released to film festivals in 2008? It seems they couldn't get licenses for the music they wanted to use, so they started a kickstarter. It seems the latest version was properly released in 2015.

If I'm wrong Inwould love someone to correct me because I'm trying to find the right film to watch, it sounds fascinating.
[/quote]

I happened across an interview with Tedesco's son. That sounds about right, except he said they were trying to do crowd funding before crowd funding existed for most of it... lol!

The other doc I was initially thinking of is "Session Men". From the clips on the web that should also be a good watch if it ever gets finished and released... https://www.facebook.com/SESSIONMEN1/

Edited by TrevorR