Why become a member? ×

When did the first P/J's appear?

Marc S

[quote name='KK Jale' timestamp='1503067149' post='3355490']
I'm going to bid 1976 (for production basses, at least) with this Ibanez...

[url="http://imgur.com/YSkLhOs"][/url]
[/quote]

Was going to post this. These are associated with Free/Faces geezer Tetsu Yamauchi - I've read (unconfirmed) that he was involved in its development & it's often regarded as an unofficial signature model by MIJ geeks. The earliest known appearance of this bass (with pearl blocks) is a [url="http://s93105080.onlinehome.us/Ibanez-Catalogs/catalog/1974-2/09.jpg"]1974 catalogue[/url].

Edited by Bassassin

Hah that Tina Weymouth clip reminded me of Lee Cave-Berry. She had a Burns Baby Bison bass that was her first bass (and still gets aired occasionally).
She joined a rock and roll band which was doing opening act on a Fats Domino tour and the band leader insisted she either buy a precision or put a precision pickup on her Burns. Interesting mix with a P split pickup between tow of those Burns pickups!

Anyway - looks like I was way back at the tail of the line with my 1983 P/J even if it DID have one of the very earliest EMG sets on it.
Often wondered what a Gibson EB2 would have sounded like with a P bass pickup added. Another friend - John Gaulter - had a wonderful gibson thunderbird bass with a precision pickup added. Lusted after that for a long time but he would not sell....

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1503066091' post='3355483']
It does indeed pfretrock.... well spotted - and I must have watched that clip several times! lol
[/quote]
The other way around, so I suppose it is a J/P rather than a P/J. Following on from post #3, it must be J P Morgan !
I think the bass made that track just as much as the vocal.