Why become a member? ×

SOLD '76 Mustang. £400 or MIA/MIJ fretless Fender

Beedster

Yes, Nik, I'm after a Jazz :)

Looks like I'm selling my '79 Precision maple fretless so, with apologies to Stu from whom I only bought this beauty last week, it's a case of last in first out in order to replace the fretless. The Mustang's a stunning bass, and tone-wise it packs a pretty big punch (helped by the addition of a new set of TI Jazz Flats at the weekend). I rehearsed with it on Friday and although it didn't have quite the clout of my '78 Precision, it was a lot closer than I thought it would be. It's a lovely bass to play and to look at, and the grain is perfect.

I'm not looking for anything other than the £400 I paid for it or a passive fretless Fender (although I would consider a fretless Stingray). it will be despatched in a hard case.

[attachment=15541:Mustang_1.jpg][attachment=15542:Mustang2.jpg][attachment=15543:Mustang3.jpg]

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='pete.young' post='321302' date='Nov 3 2008, 08:32 PM']You're gonna hate the thin neck. It'll all end in tears ;-)[/quote]

LOL, agreed, but I tend to only play fretless at the dusty end so, having played a while ofna fretless jazz last week, I'm thinking it's going to work out. If not, I'll get a Warmoth B neck.
Just PM'd you Pete
Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='321263' date='Nov 3 2008, 07:56 PM']Yes, Nik, I'm after a Jazz :)[/quote]

:lol:
:huh:
:unsure:

Christ - I hope this doesn't mean McCain is going to get in tonight over in The States!!
Anyway, you'll love having a Jazz Chris and what's more, it'll complete your set of iconic Leo Fender basses, what with the Precisions, the Stingray and finally a Jazz...

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='322337' date='Nov 5 2008, 12:18 AM']:lol:
:)
:lol:
:unsure:

Christ - I hope this doesn't mean McCain is going to get in tonight over in The States!!
Anyway, you'll love having a Jazz Chris and what's more, it'll complete your set of iconic Leo Fender basses, what with the Precisions, the Stingray and finally a Jazz...[/quote]

No, but an owl did just fly backwards past my window :huh:
Still not a fan of fretted Jazzes Nik, but having played a fretless last week found the neck far less of a problem than I had expected (or rememberered from previous Jazzes owned). To be honest, I've always liked the [i]idea[/i] of a fretted Jazz bass, I''ve just never found one that worked for me when push came to shove live. However, fretless is a different ball game really so I'm going to give it a go. I've got too much cash tied up in my old fretless Precision which I rarely use anymore so seems a good time to sell that and try something new :huh:
Cheers
Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='322429' date='Nov 5 2008, 08:31 AM']No, but an owl did just fly backwards past my window :)
Still not a fan of fretted Jazzes Nik, but having played a fretless last week found the neck far less of a problem than I had expected (or rememberered from previous Jazzes owned). To be honest, I've always liked the [i]idea[/i] of a fretted Jazz bass, I''ve just never found one that worked for me when push came to shove live. However, fretless is a different ball game really so I'm going to give it a go. I've got too much cash tied up in my old fretless Precision which I rarely use anymore so seems a good time to sell that and try something new :huh:
Cheers
Chris[/quote]
Good move I think Chris!

And whatever happens, from an outsider's point of view, it's certainly been more entertaining around here watching the increase in bass traffic that's occurred since the Beedster's return to Basschat! :huh:

:huh: bump :huh:

For the benefit of any potential buyers out there, I bought it for £400 then spent £50 on set up and fret stone (professionally done by luthier at the Bass Bash) and it's now had another new set of luvverly TI flat strings (old nickelwounds were only weeks old)

Didn't quite last the 25 years that you were speaking about, eh Chris :) Hope you find your sonic nirvana in the world of the Jazz

Cheers

Stu

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='322634' date='Nov 5 2008, 01:29 PM']Ahh... I didn't make the connection before but it all makes sense now!

I heard this bass played a few times at The SE Bash and it had a great sound... Looks cool too..[/quote]

It is a stuner for sure. Have to admit I was [i]almost [/i] tempted to keep this and let my Precision go :). It has a great tone and feel, surprisingly so in fact.
No one got a jazz.....?
Chris