Why become a member? ×

Ampeg SVT-210AV VS Markbass Traveller 102p

lawetlatla

I'm looking for a lightweight (15kg> as I'm only small) 2x10 bass cab as I'll have to lose my car when I move to London & my Trace Elliot rig is far too heavy for the tube.
I've whittled the cab selection down to the Ampeg SVT-210AV & the Markbass Traveler 102P as I'm not looking to spend more than £300 (granted I found one of the Markbass cabs second hand for that). I'm looking for what people would recommend & comparisons from those who have tried both? Currently I'm too far from anywhere to test them out for myself past YouTube videos so some help would be appreciated!
Thanks for any help & input!

I own an SVT210AV and whilst it is a lovely sounding medium duty cabinet it is a sealed design and doesn't go particularly loud or deep and is better used in pairs depending on the genre and venue. It has a cloth front so is more susceptible to damage on public transport than the metal markbass grill. Of those choices the markbass will go louder and deeper and consequently is more flexible and would be my choice.

If looking for a single 210 for carrying on the tube I would also check out Barefaced. You can get a 4 ohm version that can handle over 500W.

The Ampeg is a great little cab, but you might struggle to get enough volume out of just one. They are only rated for 200W.

The Mark Bass can take 400W and is a lot deeper front to back than the Ampeg so should go much louder and deeper. It is ported and has a harsh sounding piezo tweeter so will sound pretty different to the Ampeg, but at least you can dial the tweeter down.

Edited by dannybuoy

I loved the sound of the Ampeg but agree with the above posts, it`s not the loudest of cabs and doesn`t do mega-low presence. If your band is not too loud on-stage, and you do FOH gigs then it might be ok for on-stage monitoring, but overall the Markbass 210 would be the cab that can do more, so that would be my recommendation.