Why become a member? ×

Another octave pedal thread, sort of

Ceebass

So my current pride-of-pedalboard is a Markbass synth pedal, which I'm running an octave pedal in front of for added poundage. Currently, this is a Dr Green Octadose, which is pretty much fine, if a bit glitchy. It only really falls down when I compare it to the octaver on the Markbass pedal, which is absolutely huuuuuge: it just seems to lack character and presence. I'd like something which could provide a bit of octave-y variety or a different character to the Markbass octave, as well as track as well as possible! I'd been thinking about the TC sub n up mini, or the EBS octaver. If any of you learned Basschat sages have any recommendations, I'd really appreciate it!

I've said it before and I'll say it again: If you want an octave with character, give the COG T16 or T47 a try. You can even dial in just how much character you want with the filter control, from relatively clean to glitchy synth madness.

The T47 is so good I'm actually going to sell my Boss OC-2. This upsets me as we've been through a lot together but, having previously said I'd never sell it, I can't see myself using it again and I could do with the cash!

Edited by Johnny Wishbone

Digital and analog octavers sound very different, so hit up some YouTube demos to get a feel. I would narrow it down to which type you want before exploring the options, since they're like entirely different effects.

Digital - POG, Pitchfork, Sub'n'Up, Whammy, etc - these are basically pitch shifters that sound like the result you'd get from transposing a sample of your bass up or down in a sampler or DAW. Solid tracking but there is a bit of delay/latency behind the dry note and some fake sounding digital artifacts.

Analog - OC-2, EBS Octabass, Aguilar Octamizer, 3Leaf Octabvre, etc - these try to lock onto your note and generate a synth tone at the same pitch, hence the tracking can jump around a bit. But on the other hand they sound fat and there is no processing delay. Usually octave down only, there are a few with octave up also but it's more of an octave up fuzz.

If you are looking for a fat synthy octave down, the Boss OC-2 is the daddy, however it's lacking a little in volume with the soloed octave. I tried replacing it with a COG T16 but I found it rather bland as well as quiet, now I'm using the 3Leaf Octabvre Mini which nails it.

• 3 weeks later...