Why become a member? ×

Some photos and an mp3 from last night's gig...

wateroftyne

Hi all!

I played at The Gala Theatre in Durham City last night with my 'other' band. Our sound guy was experimenting with lots of new stuff.. amazing new PA (I forget what, but incredible), doing the monitor mix via WiFi from the stage, and a new recording system. It's like living in the future! It sounded bloomin' great...

Anyway, [url="http://www.jollybeggars.co.uk/stuff/gabriel.mp3"]here's an mp3 of a quick mix of a tune from the night[/url]. Unfortunately, the only one mixed so for is the one which has some of the most calamitous bass cock-ups known to man. Ah, well.. in my defence, it was way past my bedtime and it's only the second time I've played it. (Inside joke - If BossHog reads this - they're not mistakes. It's JAZZ! :huh: )

It's my rosewood '71 P, DI'd into the board... it sounds OK but I've asked our lovely sound chap to turn up the 'growl' knob when he remixes it.. :)

Here's some photos:

[quote name='The Funk' post='320126' date='Nov 2 2008, 01:45 PM']How do you fill all these enormous venues playing original material btw? I must know the secret.[/quote]

I think it helps when the original material in question is so damn good - I was singing along first listen :)

Rich harmonies help loads too.

Thanks, folks!

[quote]Nice one. You do get to play some nice spacious stages! How are you getting on with the Schro?[/quote]

It's great, really great, BUT.... (you guessed that was coming, didn't you?)

*whispers*

Part of me has a hankerin' for something bigger. I'd certainly like something a bit taller for clarity's sake.. maybe a bigger box in general. Possibly back to 15s, even.

I'm considering options at the moment. One of which is 'It ain't broke, you fool! Don't try and fix it!'.

You know how GAS is, though...

[quote]That's a really great live sound, especially the harmonies! Dare I say it reminds me a little of The Eagles? And it's nice to see such a well laid out stage too (is that a bit OCD?)[/quote]

You can say that, by all means! They get that comparison all the time. Is the stage well laid out? I dunno.. do you mean a lack of backline? I'm the messierst bugger on the planet so it's not my fault. :huh:

[quote]How do you fill all these enormous venues playing original material btw? I must know the secret.[/quote]

Ah... the secret. The secret is... lots of time. And good tunes.

The band has been playing around the North East in various guises since the 70s. It's got to the point now where they can pick and choose their local gigs, and people are prepared to pay to see them. At the moment they'd struggle to fill halls that size south of Middlesbrough, but they're working on it...

[quote]It's a Renkus Heinz SR5 system in there.... with some SR9's for good measure.... I got involved in putting this system in a while ago... great sounding room out front too...[/quote]

We didn't use the house system. Our sound guy is a complete gear head and likes to use his own wherever possible. He brought along a [url="http://www.kv2audio.com/product.asp?ProdID=ES1.0&ProdSeries=ES"]KV2 ES1.0[/url]. It was absolutely astonishing, and very compact.

[quote]Sounds great. Just had the headphones on for the full effect. Mix is excellent & your 71 Precision sounds really good.[/quote]

Why, thank you. You can't go wrong with a P and flatwounds for that kind of stuff.. :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='320339' date='Nov 2 2008, 06:16 PM']We didn't use the house system. Our sound guy is a complete gear head and likes to use his own wherever possible. He brought along a [url="http://www.kv2audio.com/product.asp?ProdID=ES1.0&ProdSeries=ES"]KV2 ES1.0[/url]. It was absolutely astonishing, and very compact.[/quote]

Kool.... I've used the VHD boxes before on the outdoor festivals and that was sweet but not had a chance to hear the smaller stuff yet..... if the VHD was anything to go by then the ES should have sounded astounding!!