Why become a member? ×

Rob Allen 6 string MB2 fretless

6stringbassist

I just sent off my deposit for a Rob Allen MB2 6 string fretless, it'll be ready in about 5 months.

They're semi hollow, and all of them are really beautiful to look at.

It's going to be an unlined fretless, and it'll have an ash body with walnut facings and toroiseshell binding around the body.

They have a piezo pickup in the bridge, so I'll get a sound sort of between an electric fretless and my acoustic fretless bass, which is just what I'm after. The volume control is that little knob on the side of the bridge.

It's a bit of a risk I suppose buying a bass that I'm not going to be able to try first, but I've done a lot of research on Robs basses, and everyone tells me the same thing with regard to construction, and the description of the sound of them is exactly what I'm after.

It'll look something like this, but with the darker toroiseshell binding around the edge.

Edited by 6stringbassist

[quote name='walbassist' post='319775' date='Nov 1 2008, 07:22 PM']I've always fancied one of these as they look so beautiful.

I've been told these are give a more uprightish tone than a fretless electric mwah, although I suspect that may be down to string preference.

Ejoy, should be stunning...[/quote]

Thanks, as you say it's down to string type, and a lot of the sound is down to how you play, and where on the bass you play, I can get a very convincing upright sound on my acoustic by playing close to the body using just my thumb, and more of an electric sound using my fingers by the bridge.