Why become a member? ×

Value of a 79/81 p bass vs 79

Prince_phil

Hi

Im looking at buying an all original fender p bass that has a 79 neck and an 81 body. The seller has showed me pictures of the insides and it all checks out- from reading the fender site it seems it is pretty common practice that they put necks that had been sitting about for a few years with more recently made bodies. My question is about value- would a bass like this be typically worth less than a regular 79?
It's pretty much the best playing/sounding p bass I've tried and from that point of view I'm sold! It's just that if I ever needed to sell it on it would be nice to know what it's worth!

Thanks for any info.

Phil

No I don't think it would make any difference it was all a bit mix and match then. If you've got a good one- that's the important part, there were plenty of boat anchors made

Edited by Geek99

It will make no difference to the value. I have one of those s9 serial number Precisions. I have never even bothered checking when the various parts were made. Condition and the issue of whether it is 'all original' will be the main indicators or value. Playability and sound will be the indicators of whether the bass is worth buying.

When I was young the basses from this era were cheap to buy as they came from an unfashionable time in Fenders history. I bought mine for under £400 in 1999 whereas the same bass would be worth at least a grand now and probably more if I'd not been playing it regularly for 18 years!

I think the values around that period make the assumptions that's all the parts will have differing dates, part of the reason they're not 'collectable'. But as has been mentioned, if you found a good one, that doesn't weigh a ton, good times.

Si

If a bass had body and neck marked as '79, it may have left the factory in '79 so you could definitely call it a '79 bass.

If it had one part labelled '81, it must have come out of the factory in '81 or later, so I suppose that classes it as an '81 bass, and therefore not worth quite as much as a '79 bass. Although there wouldn't be much in it!