Why become a member? ×

1973 Fender Telecaster Restoration Project

Delberthot

As you may or may not have known, I bought a modified Fender Tele bass with the intention of refinishing it.

I got as far as taking it apart and stripping the body but I don't have time (and need the money) to finish it.

When I bought it, someone had added contours to the original slab body and painted it with a rather fetching (or retching) brown varnish so it was by no means original at that point.

I got bored with it and offered the parts on Ebay. I sold the scratchplate, machineheads & knobs but still have everything else and this is what i am selling.

I'm now offering all the remaining parts to someone here so that they may be able to breath life back into this once fine bass and not scatter the parts all over the world.

I have no idea how much to offer for this so if anyone else has any idea of value then I'm all ears.

Edited by Delberthot

One of the string ferrules has been replaced at one point.

the split on the neck was apparently common with the bullet truss rod as there was simply not enough wood between the truss rod and the great outdoors and a plit was common. Not an issue though as this bass is 35 years old so if it was going to get worse it would've done so by now.

The complete list of parts that are included are:

Body
Neck
Neck plate with screws and microtilt plate that attaches to the neck
2 saddle bridge with screws
string tree still attached to the neck
Original pots dated 1973
Original humbucker pickup
strap buttons
String ferrules

If anyone is interested as well - I bought nitro paint to finish the bass. this is in the form of spray cans bought from Manchester Guitar Tech. I have the primer, main colour and top laquer coat.

The finish is the one and only Daphne Blue which is a personal favourite of mine and different from the usual blonde and black that you would find these in originally.

I have no idea of value. I would welcome any estimate to enable me to work something out.

The frets still have a lot of play in them but there is wear. You can see grooves in the first few but as they go further up they seem to flatten out so I'm not sure if they've been dressed in the past or not.

I did use the bass for a few gigs and is fantastic. If the neck had been a 4 bolt it would be on my Warmoth right now but i didn't want to waste an old neck like this one.

Edited by Delberthot

Okay £500 plus postage will get you this once fine bass.

I've had a rake around and generally they go for between £1200-1400 in decent nick.

Obviously taking into consideration the parts that are no longer with it and the refinish needed on the body.

I reckon for someone refinishing this themselves with non period replacement parts you would be looking at £55 tops to get it up and running

Edited by Delberthot

Postage will be a very generous £10 for a 2-3 day service by DHL. this is what it is costing me, I am not making anything out of it.

The bass will be packed in the boxes my Warmoth bass came in as well.

I will accept Paypal (no extra charge) & cheque if you live too far to collect it or cash if you are collecting it.

It is all boxed up and ready to go. i just need to put your address on it and get DHL to come and pick it up.

Quite a bit of interest but no one has commited yet so it could be yours.

Edited by Delberthot

[quote name='Shockwave' post='321459' date='Nov 3 2008, 11:53 PM']Damn you![/quote]
Sorry dude, couldn't resist it - but if you still want it I'll pull out; let me know
when it's done up I expect I'll get bored and sell it on anyway! :)

Edited by Shaggy

[quote name='Delberthot' post='317652' date='Oct 29 2008, 03:19 PM']the split on the neck was apparently common with the bullet truss rod as there was simply not enough wood between the truss rod and the great outdoors and a plit was common. Not an issue though as this bass is 35 years old so if it was going to get worse it would've done so by now.[/quote]

Depends when the split happenned I guess.

Don't imagine it was 35 years ago though ;-)

If has't been sold by the weekend then I will have to fire it on to ebay.

Bit short of cash just now so it needs to go but will be offered on Ebay at a higher cost. I'm effectively charging friend's rate for it on here.

I could split it if anyone's interested in buying any of the parts separately but the general rule is that it works out cheaper to buy the whole lot together. If anyone is interested in buying any of the parts then I will hold your request until the weekend - if no one has bought the entire bass by then I will let you buy the part that you asked for.

If there is enough interest I will list prices for each part.

I can't really go any lower than £500 & £10 postage for mainland UK. This includes all the parts listed previously

Edited by Delberthot