Why become a member? ×

Unsure about my bass

arabassist

Hello all,

This is my first post so sorry if I say/do something schoopid. I've had my Ibanez Artcore AGB140 for like 6 months now (2nd hand) tho I only recently got my amp (30W ashdown) due to money issues and family not liking noise. At first I loved my bass (I still do) but I'm starting to wonder if I really want to keep it. First of all, it's got a hollow body so it's pretty hench. The fretboard is pretty thick (in both axes) which is a problem for my small and pudgy hands that i've been blessed with. Also, I think slapping and popping is the real fun bit of bass, but when I try it on this it just doesn't sound as good, doesn't have that funky, metallic, (whatever you describe it as) noise from solid basses - I've tried loads of different techniques.

I'm thinking sell it/trade it and buy a simple solid bass like a jazz squier for like £180. I still class myself as a bass newb so I don't care about uber basses. Should I do this or am I just being an idiot for thinking this? Is this just a case of 'good bass, bad bassist'?

My friend says just go to a music store and find what you like, the prob is the only local shop in my area just got closed down.

Cheers

[quote name='arabassist' post='317114' date='Oct 28 2008, 10:02 PM']Hello all,

This is my first post so sorry if I say/do something schoopid. I've had my Ibanez Artcore AGB140 for like 6 months now (2nd hand) tho I only recently got my amp (30W ashdown) due to money issues and family not liking noise. At first I loved my bass (I still do) but I'm starting to wonder if I really want to keep it. First of all, it's got a hollow body so it's pretty hench. The fretboard is pretty thick (in both axes) which is a problem for my small and pudgy hands that i've been blessed with. Also, I think slapping and popping is the real fun bit of bass, but when I try it on this it just doesn't sound as good, doesn't have that funky, metallic, (whatever you describe it as) noise from solid basses - I've tried loads of different techniques.

I'm thinking sell it/trade it and buy a simple solid bass like a jazz squier for like £180. I still class myself as a bass newb so I don't care about uber basses. Should I do this or am I just being an idiot for thinking this? Is this just a case of 'good bass, bad bassist'?

My friend says just go to a music store and find what you like, the prob is the only local shop in my area just got closed down.

Cheers[/quote]

Hey man...

I just did a video on this, actually. Basically, in it, I say that it doesn't really matter WHAT you have a bass if you are just starting out.

This bass is just to get your technique down, and to get a fundamental understanding of bass. Once you think you are ready to get out there and start gigging and playing with other people, THEN consider upping your EQ to a better standard.

Start saving your money now, and make that £180 a bigger figure. Keep saving, and once you are ready to play to the world, you'll have a nice wedge saved for a nicer bass.

Hope this helps... :)

I gather from your post that you want a bass that's comfy for someone with small hands and makes a pleasant sound when popping and slapping. From that description, I'd say you can't go far wrong with an OLP, the licenced MusicMan copy. It's passive so hasn't got that edge to the tone that a Stingray has but is far cheaper and does produce a useful sound for popping and slapping.
I upgraded mine with Seymour Duncan pick-up and 3-band active EQ which brought it up there with the big boys. It had one of the most playable necks of any bass I've owned. I still think about getting another

Thanks for those comments guys.

I never thought about an OLP, I think I'm just in love with the look of the Fender Jazz.

I have seen some of your videos Dmanlamius, including the beginner one, they were all helpful :)

I guess my prob is I don't wanna get used to a bass that I feel uncomfortable in some ways with. For instance, I can't play standing up very well, cos it's large body rests against me and sticks far too much out.

Yea, I can totally understand that.

Sometimes though, in someways it can work to your benefit.

For years I had crappy basses, because I had no money. I had this "bass" that was a Les Paul body with an Ibanez neck. All the frets had been pulled off of it, and it sounded horrible.

I gigged with that creature for about a year. But I noticed something happening. I was beginning to really focus my right hand technique on getting the best sound out of the bass that i could...through technique. When I finally could afford a nice bass, it "played itself" because my technique was forced to be a lot more efficent from the previous horrible basses...

But...at the end of the night, the decision is yours my friend.
:)

[quote name='bassman2790' post='317129' date='Oct 28 2008, 10:20 PM']I gather from your post that you want a bass that's comfy for someone with small hands and makes a pleasant sound when popping and slapping. From that description, I'd say you can't go far wrong with an OLP, the licenced MusicMan copy. It's passive so hasn't got that edge to the tone that a Stingray has but is far cheaper and does produce a useful sound for popping and slapping.
I upgraded mine with Seymour Duncan pick-up and 3-band active EQ which brought it up there with the big boys. It had one of the most playable necks of any bass I've owned. I still think about getting another[/quote]

My OLP stingray has a very wide neck, wider than a precision!

I'd go for a Jazz width neck! The new Squier Classic Vibes are great so I hear!

Si

Edited by Sibob

you don't see people slapping etc on that kind of bass too often though Jonas Hellborg springs to mind

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KOEsQbK-MA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KOEsQbK-MA[/url]

and if thats what you want to do you could always work at it and it'd give you a recognisable sound of your own.

peace

c

I suppose playing a bass that is physically uncomfortable for you could help develop your technique, but it might also cause you to give up in frustration. You're supposed to enjoy playing, it's not meant to be a miserable chore. You can get a J-style bass for so little money on-line, it doesn't seem worth struggling.

Well to be honest I had one of these Ibanez Artcore basses and also found it uncomfortable to play sitting and standing up! Also the sound was very dull and 'woody' which suited the R'n'R band I was in at the time.

I don't think in this day and age you have to 'perfect your art' on a difficult to play and uncomfortable guitar ! I would cut your losses and get a bass you'll be happy playing.

Ibanez make some superb basses for not a lot of money or spend a bit more on a used Jazz bass and get even more for you buck.

There . . I have spent my two penneth !

Ade

The Artcore is a fine bass but not the best choice if you are after a "metallic" kind of slap sound.
It can do warm, thumpy, old-school funky, fat-bottomed bass but Marcus Miller style is probably not its forte.

That said, you could always try putting on a set of nice, fresh, light-gauge stainless steel strings and see if it helps.

I still think you´d be better off with, say, a Squier Classic Vibe or Vintage Modified Jazz.

[quote name='Soulfinger' post='317676' date='Oct 29 2008, 03:36 PM']The Artcore is a fine bass but not the best choice if you are after a "metallic" kind of slap sound.
It can do warm, thumpy, old-school funky, fat-bottomed bass but Marcus Miller style is probably not its forte.

That said, you could always try putting on a set of nice, fresh, light-gauge stainless steel strings and see if it helps.

I still think you´d be better off with, say, a Squier Classic Vibe or Vintage Modified Jazz.[/quote]

I agree with the comments above, try some new strings. It may help but by what you have said you are not comfortable with the instrument so I would definately suggest one of the squier classic vibe or Vintage modified basses. I have tried both and they are SUPERB for the money, far better than basses costing a lot more.

I have to say I dont 100% agree with just sticking with whatever you have and you will be fine. A better set up, better playing bass will in my opinion help you as a player and make you feel better because you are not fighting your instrument all the time. A squier jazz with some quality strings will also be great for slapping and the neck profile will help for those with smaller hands.

I hope that helps a little, and good luck finding something your happy with.

Edited by NJE

Hmm I'm still thinking about this issue, thanks for your help guys.

I guess my decision rests on whether I can get rid of (sell) this bass. Its previous owner slightly damaged the headstock.

Out of interest, should I even bother with a squier affinity?

Also, is it against forum rules to sell/buy basses here?

[quote name='arabassist' post='317729' date='Oct 29 2008, 04:36 PM']Also, is it against forum rules to sell/buy basses here?[/quote]

Get out there & play some basses! If you decide to sell just pop it in the For Sale section, I'll email you my paypal details for the fee later :huh: Lol seriously though it's free.

Just type up a decent advert & including a few pics would help a lot. Bear in mind that it may take a while to shift though with the way things are going. :)

EDIT for typo!

Edited by joe_bass

I think you should hang on to your first bass. Work with it, new strings on it will be a sound revelation if the strings were old when you got it. Plus the bit of extra unplugged volume when you are jammin about the house is a bonus. Just keep an ear to the ground for a jazz, you can pick them up for no money sometimes.