Why become a member? ×

Fender Jazz Bass

tedred59

Hi there...this attachment is my American Fender Jass bass...can anyone tell me which model it is?...confused as to which one it is as most jazz basses have a metal plate where the pick up and tone controls are..this one has the complete plastic fingerboard covering it..cheers in advance if anyone can[attachment=245474:jazz bass.jpg]

Yes, these are made in the US, but with some of the components / parts being made in Mexico.
I think the pickups, pots, wires / electrics were Mexican made. Someone who worked in a guitar shop (in Cardiff) said the body and necks were also made in Mexico, but the assembly and finishing was done in the US.

The one piece scratchplate being simpler and quicker to fit, was a feature unique to this series.....

yes, typo on my part there, typed E meant N - pesky iphones

some info : [url="https://www.talkbass.com/threads/fender-jazz-bass-with-a-one-piece-pickguard-american-traditional-90s-mim-etc.857688/"]https://www.talkbass...mim-etc.857688/[/url]

If you read down that thread, you'll see a suggestion that they also made some of these in 83 - an E prefixed serial so I was potentially right without even knowing it. Go me. So those would possibly be US-made as the NAfta maquiladora thing hadnt really got going then.

Edited by Geek99

My guitarist has an American Traditional telecaster from around that era and some of the parts bear a striking resemblance to my Korean Squier. I thought I'd read they were oriental parts, assembled in the U.S. it was just about the only us Telecaster with top loading bridge, like my Squier.