Why become a member? ×

NBD Vintage (brand) Violin Bass

markdavid

Aquired this lovely bass at the weekend, was after a Violin bass , went originally looking for a Hofner Ignition but due to the recent rosewood regulations there apparently has been a bit of a supply issue.
Was about to give up and go home when I spotted this beaut.
Plays great, is nice and light and it has loads of low end, and it came with a hard case :)

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1495004116' post='3300275']
Oh nice can I ask how much? Not that I have a birthday coming up at all
[/quote]
Was £330 new with a hardcase, I probably could have bartered with the guy in the shop and got a cheaper price but I had a tough time finding a violin bass in London so wasn't in the mood to mess about

Not tried a vintage brand violin bass - but that one looks nice :)
I had a brief flirtation with a Hofner - Not the ignition, but the 500/1 series, with the solid block in the body
That had an amazingly "big" solid sound for such a diminutive bass, I was shocked :o

Enjoy your NBD :)
PS. I wonder why violin basses are in short supply in London?

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1495009838' post='3300325']
Not tried a vintage brand violin bass - but that one looks nice :)
I had a brief flirtation with a Hofner - Not the ignition, but the 500/1 series, with the solid block in the body
That had an amazingly "big" solid sound for such a diminutive bass, I was shocked :o

Enjoy your NBD :)
PS. I wonder why violin basses are in short supply in London?
[/quote] Yes this bass sounds really big also, i think partly due to semi hollow construction and partly due to the location of the 2 pickups which are both close to the neck, (i think)because they are quite closer together you don't get that big mid scoop that seems to occur on basses with 2 or more pickups.

Regards to Violin basses being in short supply in London a guy in Wunjos told me it is because of the new rosewood restrictions which are causing supply issues

[quote name='Grahambythesea' timestamp='1495129230' post='3301545']
Looks ace. Was it new? When I have seen previous Violin basses of this brand I thought they had the incorrect Y tuners, but this has proper small tuners which I have always suspected were just guitar tuners on Hofners.
[/quote] Yes, was new, i was impressed by the accuracy of the copy when i saw it, most copies i have seen have the Y tuners and tend to ditch the switches, sounds great too , my only gripe with it is the slightly funky intonation but i know this is extremely common with violin basses

[quote name='markdavid' timestamp='1495094713' post='3301146']
Now just need to sort out this wacky intonation that you get with Violin basses
[/quote]

I bought a Hofner Club bass ('Oriental' version, as the dealer put it; around $875 US) a couple of year ago and had to have the action lowered a good deal to make the instrument playable. Finally got it down (the luthier and me, painstakingly, later) and have been enjoying it ever since. Excellent intonation was finally achieved by moving the bridge as needed, but also by adjusting each string saddle. A lot of trouble but ultimately worth it. Good luck with yours.