Why become a member? ×

Getting "The one you shouldn't have sold" back....and it's not the same

BassApprentice

A couple of months ago I managed to get a Yamaha SBV500, one of the basses "I wish I hadn't sold" X years ago.

And it's not the same.

Since selling the SBV I've fallen out of love with bass playing a bit and am slowly getting back into it now. I thought having one of favourite basses back would really get me going and inspire me to play and practice like I used to, I am playing more but not playing this bass more.

Maybe because I now use a G&L which has a chunkier neck and traditional bodyshape compared to the Yammy. Maybe it's because the Yammy has an EMG preamp while my old one was stock. Maybe my tastes have just changed in the past 8/9 years...

Anyway, anyone else got stories of getting "that" bass back and it not working? Or conversely getting "that" bass back and it being exactly like you remember it?

Don't we all change with the time? I have had a Sadowsky 5-string that I have sold twice and bought back. It's a really nice bass but as I have a bunch of other basses I tend to pick that bass for sale when it gets time for herd cutting. I also want to get back one of my older MTD535 but the new owner also loves it too much.

Edited by margusalviste

Yeah, I got back my Jazz.

Got it in 2011 - played loads of shows with it.
https://instagram.com/p/BF9_BnaOQU7/

Sold it in 2012 so I could get married...

Back since January

It's better than ever.
https://instagram.com/p/BTwnkvujduo/

Sold my 66 P Bass a couple of years ago, but was lucky enough to buy the same one back recently and it's just as I remembered. Couldn't be happier.

Sold a 70's Music Man Sabre years back and later regretted it. Then bought another one recently and it's great, also just as I remembered.

Thing is, we all know that 2 basses of the same make, model, year etc. can have their own tone and mojo, so whereas I got lucky with my Sabre being the same model and just as good, your Yammy sounds quite different, especially due to the electrics. That's a common issue I reckon.