Why become a member? ×

Weird Vibes from B and E String, any ideas?

yorks5stringer

When played acoustically and through an amp, on my new Jaguar V the B and E strings have an odd rattle if I dig in on the open string. Did not notice straight away when I got the Bass and only after I swapped out to flats.

I have checked and tried to eliminate the following:

Action: checked the Truss rod adjusts and the action is not so low that it's fret rattle and is not the truss rod rattling itself.

Tuners: If I hold the tuner ear tightly/press against it the rattle/vibe stops. Obvious you might think, but I've taken the tuners apart, reversed the shim so its tighter and the ears are a lot tighter to move, so think have eliminated them as source. Is there anything else I can do here?

Strings: could be loose windings...swapped back to OEM strings and still rattling.

String Tree: tight, no rattle

Screws: been round scratch plate checking there are no loose screws, whilst it was removed checked pickups were not the cause, they are tight and no wiring rattling around. The jazz pickup has individual allen screws for the poles, these have all been checked too and tight.

Convinced it's to do with the B and E Tuners as the rattle goes if I hold the ear tightly but screws are tight, there is no play in the tuner. is there anything I'm missing as I feel I've tried everything...!

I could swap over tuners to ones I know do not rattle(ADG) but suspect its to do with the thickness and frequency of the B and E...?

Any ideas gratefully received!

Edited by yorks5stringer

Hmmm maybe the nut although you have a string tree on the E. Hold the strings down after the nut and play the open strings. Any better?
Also I know you checked the truss rod but does tightening it up further help?
Are the strings nicely seated on the bridge? Sometimes rattles can seem to come from the head area when its actually at the bridge (doubtful in this case). Try pushing the strings down slightly just before the saddle. And also check the screws are making good contact with the plate. And that the intonation screws are sitting right.
Pickup height? Rarely have I experienced this but are the pickups set too close to the strings (again doubtful)

You have checked everything really. As you say maybe some odd resonance going on, which does happen.
I've noticed some instruments don't get on with certain gauges or string types/manufactures. I had a fender mustang that had a resonance problem also my old custom Jim fleeting had an odd open E rattle with certain strings that I never tracked down. It was fine with Fender flats but some other flats of the same gauge brought on a odd noise.

Edited by Twincam

Tried everything including swapping machine heads and still this 'rattle' in the headstock area which happens when i dig into the B and E acoutically. Rather than faff about any more, G4music have agreed to take it back and get their guitar tech to look at it.

All I can say is that if I tap the headstock there is a metallic rattle/resonance coming from it, yet if I compare to the P Bass I have there is none, it just sounds woody.

I do wonder if the rattle is from the truss rod, despite the fact it works fine.

Worse case scenario is I get a refund but I really like the Bass.....!

Edited by yorks5stringer

I've had a similar rattle where the ear part of the tuner was vibrating where it's own shaft is pressed over it . ( The flat part that one turns sits in a groove in the end of the worm-drive shaft )
Test by looping a rubber band around the end of the shaft and wrapping it over the ear to dampen .
Sometimes the tiny gap can be nipped up with mole grips , but I have cured one by forcing clear bathroom silicon sealant into the gap with a fingernail , then wiping away the excess and leaving it to set .
HTH

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1494419973' post='3295797']
My moneys on the truss rod rattling in it's cavity. These types of unknown rattles can be absolutely infuriating !!!!
[/quote]

If I tap the headstock there is a metallic rattle present even if all the tuners are muted so I concur!

Just found this and sure it is the same for me as only the B and E resonate:

"For those of you that have had troubles with truss rod rattle, I'd like to share with you a product that really does work.

First of all, determine that the rattle is indeed your truss rod, and then make sure that it's not simply a case one that's never been tightened. On my bass, the rod was tight, yet you could hear the rod rattle in the neck when the open E & B [url="https://www.talkbass.com/store/bass-guitar-strings/?utm_source=tbforum&utm_medium=keywordrep&utm_term=strings"]strings[/url] were played, or if you rapped the back of the neck with your knuckles. I had eliminated all other possible sources of the rattle, and so had my guitar tech.

I'd had this problem years ago with another instrument. I sent it back to the builder, who poured a rubber cement down the truss rod canal to silence the problem. He then sent it back to me. To my horror, when I opened the case, there was brown ooze flowing out of the truss rod canal...it hadn't dried yet! Anyway, once that mess was cleaned up and the glue was dry, the truss rod was all but frozen in place. So this fix was one I didn't want to use except as a last resort. I've also heard of "tool handle plastic" being thinned and poured down the canal in the same way.

Frustrated, I searched around the net, and I found this fix on a repair forum online. With nothing to lose, I gave it a shot. The product is called "Chair-Loc Plus". The idea of the product is to fix chairs without gluing by swelling the wood in the joints. It works within 30 minutes. It comes in a 3-oz bottle with a syringe and two needles. About 9 bucks.

Anyway, I put the bass on the stand, took off the truss rod cover, and injected some of the Chair-Loc down the truss rod canal. 15 minutes later, no more rattle, even with the hardest rapping on the back of the neck. Woo Hoo!!!

I hope this helps some of you that have had the same problem."

This looks like the product he suggests:

[url="https://www.restexpress.co.uk/acatalog/Briwax_Chair_Fix_Kit.html"]https://www.restexpr...ir_Fix_Kit.html[/url]
[color=#FFFFFF][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif][size=3]Here is the info:[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#FFFFFF][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif][size=3]For those of you that have had troubles with truss rod rattle, I'd like to share with you a product that really does work.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#FFFFFF][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif][size=3]First of all, determine that the rattle is indeed your truss rod, and then make sure that it's not simply a case one that's never been tightened. On my bass, the rod was tight, yet you could hear the rod rattle in the neck when the open E & B strings were played, or if you rapped the back of the neck with your knuckles. I had eliminated all other possible sources of the rattle, and so had my guitar tech.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#FFFFFF][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif][size=3]I'd had this problem years ago with another instrument. I sent it back to the builder, who poured a rubber cement down the truss rod canal to silence the problem. He then sent it back to me. To my horror, when I opened the case, there was brown ooze flowing out of the truss rod canal...it hadn't dried yet! Anyway, once that mess was cleaned up and the glue was dry, the truss rod was all but frozen in place. So this fix was one I didn't want to use except as a last resort. I've also heard of "tool handle plastic" being thinned and poured down the canal in the same way.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#FFFFFF][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif][size=3]Frustrated, I searched around the net, and I found this fix on a repair forum online. With nothing to lose, I gave it a shot. The product is called "Chair-Loc Plus". The idea of the product is to fix chairs without gluing by swelling the wood in the joints. It works within 30 minutes. It comes in a 3-oz bottle with a syringe and two needles. About 9 bucks.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#FFFFFF][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif][size=3]Heres' one source, but there are many online:[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#FFFFFF][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif][size=3]Anyway, I put the bass on the stand, took off the truss rod cover, and injected some of the Chair-Loc down the truss rod canal. 15 minutes later, no more rattle, even with the hardest rapping on the back of the neck. Woo Hoo!!![/size][/font][/color]

[color=#FFFFFF][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif][size=3]I hope this helps some of you that have had the same problem.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#FFFFFF][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif][size=3]Here is the info:[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#FFFFFF][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif][size=3]For those of you that have had troubles with truss rod rattle, I'd like to share with you a product that really does work.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#FFFFFF][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif][size=3]First of all, determine that the rattle is indeed your truss rod, and then make sure that it's not simply a case one that's never been tightened. On my bass, the rod was tight, yet you could hear the rod rattle in the neck when the open E & B strings were played, or if you rapped the back of the neck with your knuckles. I had eliminated all other possible sources of the rattle, and so had my guitar tech.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#FFFFFF][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif][size=3]I'd had this problem years ago with another instrument. I sent it back to the builder, who poured a rubber cement down the truss rod canal to silence the problem. He then sent it back to me. To my horror, when I opened the case, there was brown ooze flowing out of the truss rod canal...it hadn't dried yet! Anyway, once that mess was cleaned up and the glue was dry, the truss rod was all but frozen in place. So this fix was one I didn't want to use except as a last resort. I've also heard of "tool handle plastic" being thinned and poured down the canal in the same way.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#FFFFFF][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif][size=3]Frustrated, I searched around the net, and I found this fix on a repair forum online. With nothing to lose, I gave it a shot. The product is called "Chair-Loc Plus". The idea of the product is to fix chairs without gluing by swelling the wood in the joints. It works within 30 minutes. It comes in a 3-oz bottle with a syringe and two needles. About 9 bucks.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#FFFFFF][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif][size=3]Anyway, I put the bass on the stand, took off the truss rod cover, and injected some of the Chair-Loc down the truss rod canal. 15 minutes later, no more rattle, even with the hardest rapping on the back of the neck. Woo Hoo!!![/size][/font][/color]

[color=#FFFFFF][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif][size=3]I hope this helps some of you that have had the same problem.[/size][/font][/color]

Edited by yorks5stringer

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1494174660' post='3293787']
Did not notice straight away when I got the Bass and only after I swapped out to flats.

[/quote]

Some Flats [b][i]will[/i][/b] rattle when first strung onto an instrument. Play it for a month or so, and once bedded in, the rattles will go.

Sounds stupid, I know, but James Jamerson played the same set of Flats for over 15 years, simply because he didn't wanna go through the bedding in process.

They are old flats and for both the B and E to resonate on the Jaguar and not the P they came off makes me think it is the truss. Also when I put the OEM rounds back on they both resonated too, so it it bass specific to the Jag. Thanks anyway for the suggestion!

It's liquid and it dries, the US stuff within 30 mins, the UK stuff takes 24 hours.
The Truss rod access is at the neck on the Jaguar but you could always drill a hole through to the truss rod in the heel and fill it afterwards with a wooden plug. The other option I've seen is to remove a fretboard position marker, drill down to the truss rod, inject and replace the marker.

I

Thanks, I've checked everything to the nth degree including swapping over tuners, and taping everything up with Gaffa, but its a very frequency specific rattle only heard from the B and E strings being plucked acoustically with my nail. A knuckle wrap on the headstock elicits the same noise too.

Bass gone back to Fender (despite me asking G4M to contact me to discuss options) where they will repair it, presumably a new neck. The tech at G4M agreed the truss rod rattled.
A bit annoying as I wanted it for some upcoming gigs and its to be away 3-4 weeks....

I really would not recommend putting anything into the truss rod cavity at all! it sounds ridiculous. And the truss rod surely won't ever work right again. Who in the right mind would do that. Rubber cement or tool handle plastic. Is that a joke?
So does any product that swells wood. Might be fine on a chair but I can not for the life of me see it work on a bass. Yeah it might cure truss rod rattle but it has got to come with a whole heap of isdues in the longer term.

There are proper ways to correct truss rod rattle not bodge jobs. Although it takes time and is expensive.

I can see silicon sealant working, It will deaden the rattle but not set so solid that the truss rod could not be tweaked again. Equally if the slot the truss rod is in is just a little large, some wood swelling solution that swells it a touch it may just do the job?

Ideally one could remove the fret board from the neck and have a look inside... however it's got a skunk stripe and I believe they were inserted that way.

Just an update, not for the squeamish...!
Despite me saying to G4M on a number of occasions that i did not want to lose the Bass under any circumstance, they sent it back to Fender who promptly credited them with the money and said it was un-repairable.
G4M rang me yesterday to tell me and I was not pleased. I then raised a complaint and got a very apologetic team leader ring me today who offered me a credit of £130 over and above what I'd paid for the Bass in recognition that they had totally screwed up! At first it was to buy a replacement with them but they had nothing so they agreed to credit me with the money to my bank account.
I then found the same Bass I had on eBay in the US, tried to order it but eBay (bloody Cites) would not allow the transaction. I spoke to the shop in the US and they were reluctant to send it when they realised the implications.
Found another one in Germany although not Red but Sunburst so have ordered that. With the extra they gave me I could get it sprayed Red...