Why become a member? ×

Fender Jazz - Sound simply stopped...

Kev

I just had a look at a standard jazz wiring diagram. If any o the pots is short between the two outside lugs it will kill all sound, so that doesn't narrow it down.
Isn't there anyone on the list of basschatters willing to help near you who would look at it for you?

I took the bass to my local tech yesterday, without trying it first he took the plate off and pulled at a few wires a little, plugged it in and...sound. I have no idea what he did, he doesn't know what he did (and I'm sure a tiny part of him thinks I just used a dodgy lead!) but it is now working. Took it home, and sure if with the same equipment it's working fine.

Almost certainly sounds like something was grounding or shorting somewhere, can't see how it can be anything else. Do I have the confidence to gig it??!!

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1494116949' post='3293433']
I took the bass to my local tech yesterday, without trying it first he took the plate off and pulled at a few wires a little, plugged it in and...sound. I have no idea what he did, he doesn't know what he did (and I'm sure a tiny part of him thinks I just used a dodgy lead!) but it is now working. Took it home, and sure if with the same equipment it's working fine.

Almost certainly sounds like something was grounding or shorting somewhere, can't see how it can be anything else. Do I have the confidence to gig it??!!
[/quote]

Did he not then check all the soldering, or fiddle with the wires more to try recreate the issue and check there isn't an internally defective wire, bad solder etc Then actually fix it.
If not I wouldn't gig it. As further movement could disturb whatever it was again.
Sounds like a bad solder joint or bad wire to me. From your description and of him pulling at the wires etc then it working again.
It could hold in that position and be fine of course, but in transport to a gig, then being moved about playing.... Well sounds risky.

Not to sound funny but the tech should of done a bit more. As there is clearly some issue there, pulling at wires isn't/wasn't a repair. Despite the instrument working. One day that's likely going to come back. And sods law at the worst possible moment. Not to sound too dramatic lol.

Edited by Twincam

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1494122152' post='3293442']
Did he not then check all the soldering, or fiddle with the wires more to try recreate the issue and check there isn't an internally defective wire, bad solder etc Then actually fix it.
If not I wouldn't gig it. As further movement could disturb whatever it was again.
Sounds like a bad solder joint or bad wire to me. From your description and of him pulling at the wires etc then it working again.
It could hold in that position and be fine of course, but in transport to a gig, then being moved about playing.... Well sounds risky.

Not to sound funny but the tech should of done a bit more. As there is clearly some issue there, pulling at wires isn't/wasn't a repair. Despite the instrument working. One day that's likely going to come back. And sods law at the worst possible moment. Not to sound too dramatic lol.
[/quote]

He messed with the wires to see if it stopped the sound, which it did not. He offered to resolder all the electrics and stick some new hardware in there just in case, but he reckoned it was a waste of time/money. It must have been shorting somewhere, I just have no idea where

The tech did all I asked of him :)

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1494162993' post='3293702']

He messed with the wires to see if it stopped the sound, which it did not. He offered to resolder all the electrics and stick some new hardware in there just in case, but he reckoned it was a waste of time/money. It must have been shorting somewhere, I just have no idea where

The tech did all I asked of him :)
[/quote]

Ah I see. Then you should of let him do the resolder maybe? Just for peace of mind. Clearly your wondering about its reliability.
Maybe it was just some sort of grounding but if its a working instrument then making sure its not going to happen again is prudent.
Making sure any wire ends can't touch etc (I've seen that happen), Tidying the wires with a zip tie. Resolder all connections. Checking grounds etc.

Edited by Twincam

Intermittent faults are the worst. To be on the safe side I'd get in touch with Ki0gon to get a new loom, or get the tech to rewire it at least; it's quicker to rewire the lot than check each wire individually.