Why become a member? ×

New Trace Elliots

Wayward-Wanderer

[quote name='Waldo' post='320181' date='Nov 2 2008, 02:55 PM']I have one of the new trace combos and it's fantastic. Very clear with a lot of punch but also has a nice warmth about it. You can do pretty much anything you like with the EQ. My only gripe is that I find the compressor quite useless but I've never been one for compressors anyway.[/quote]

Is compresor a love/hate thing? as I read so many conflicting reports ive only known the trace one so have nothing to compare it with! I would like to hear some sound clips of different setting from a highly rated compressor if anyone knows of any?
Eddy

Edited by lushuk

I never got on with the single control compressor on the older 7-band stuff but I love the proper dual-band one on the SMX/GP12 and current 12-band range. I have it in its pedal form and it's an indispensible tool IMO.

From the reports/reviews I've seen the new 7-band compressor is a bit "too much too soon" on the dial and it gets a bit squishy.

Hi all,

Can any Trace experts tell me what series my 1996 AH350SMX 12-band head was? It was built like the proverbial outhouse, with UV lighting and the older style dark grey vinyl covering. Weighed a flippin' tonne...

The cooling fan started getting noisy and I couldn't get a replacement fan at the time. Ended up selling it and a matching 4 x 10 cab for silly (cheap) money. DOH!

Wish I had it now....

Steve

You've answered the question yourself - it was the SMX series. 12-band graphic EQ, dual compressor, UV light, variable valve/solid state input stage. Nice amp!

Though, being a "350SMX" suggests it was earlier than a 1996 build, as by then the 350 was called the 400...

Waldo says
"My only gripe is that I find the compressor quite useless "

Yet Merton says
"it's an indispensible tool"

So I guess it has to be subjective! does anybody have any links to any articles of how to use compression to maximum effect and what I can expect it to achive?
Thanks Eddy

[quote name='lushuk' post='332052' date='Nov 19 2008, 02:51 AM']Waldo says
"My only gripe is that I find the compressor quite useless "

Yet Merton says
"it's an indispensible tool"

So I guess it has to be subjective! does anybody have any links to any articles of how to use compression to maximum effect and what I can expect it to achive?
Thanks Eddy[/quote]
Check the context though - Waldo was saying the compressor on the 7-band is useless, to which I agreed. I find the 12-band compressor indispensible, it's a different beasty altogether!

I bought a second hand Series 6 AH300 around 1993. It was built in 1989.

I've used it for many gigs, it's been stored in a damp garage for 4 years unused, been in the back of many a van and generally abused. And it still works perfectly and sounds great.

Mine has the heavy duty foam-like casing (made out of the same material as the bumpers of a Porsche 928) and lovely 80s UV light :)

Edited by bassoctopus

[quote name='Merton' post='331839' date='Nov 18 2008, 09:30 PM']You've answered the question yourself - it was the SMX series. 12-band graphic EQ, dual compressor, UV light, variable valve/solid state input stage. Nice amp!

Though, being a "350SMX" suggests it was earlier than a 1996 build, as by then the 350 was called the 400...[/quote]

Thanks Merton,

I kinda thought I was answering the question myself...but it was the series number I was wondering about and more specifically whether mine was regarded as a good 'un. :)

The Bass Centre may well have had the amp lying around a while by time I bought it. It was a fab amp, and as I say, I sincerely wish I still owned it (and the Warwick Corvette bubinga/wenge 5 I played through it!)

Steve

[quote name='Merton' post='332069' date='Nov 19 2008, 08:29 AM']Check the context though - Waldo was saying the compressor on the 7-band is useless, to which I agreed. I find the 12-band compressor indispensible, it's a different beasty altogether![/quote]

Just to clarify why I don't like it:

It's very sensitive, I can't even go past 2 on the dial (which isn't a lot ot all) as it squishes the sound way too much and it also hugely boosts the treble.

I've never used compressors anyway, so I'm not bothered really :)

[quote name='Waldo' post='333969' date='Nov 21 2008, 04:48 PM']Just to clarify why I don't like it:

It's very sensitive, I can't even go past 2 on the dial (which isn't a lot ot all) as it squishes the sound way too much and it also hugely boosts the treble.

I've never used compressors anyway, so I'm not bothered really :)[/quote]
Sounds just like the older 7-band compressors - it's the same reason I don't like those ones!!

Hey guys,
I recently bought a beautiful Trace Elliot AH-300 GP12 SMX head with a heavy but brilliant Trace Elliot 1048H 4x10 for £500 incl. Courier from Ebay (utter bargain!). The head was made in 2004 before Peavey took over.

Having gigged with this setup twice and played it loud in my house i know that it sounds beautiful, very definitive and is a really powerful and sturdy setup. I have also played a new AH-500 GP7 head (with the latest trace 4x10 cab) at a gig in a field.

It may be entirely because of the preamp not being GP12 but it definitely didn't sound as good. Peavey also seem to be a little obsessed with power as they only make 500watts and upwards heads these days, these new heads cost a hell of a lot more too.

Look out for a 2nd hand setup and make sure the Cabs can handle the head's power cause i noticed some of the old cabs can't take much at all.

Charrss

I started off with 'sharkskin' type vinyl covered 715 combo but hankered for something I could use an extension speaker with. I ended up with a carpet covered 725 and an old 4X10 vinyl covered cab for £400 plus I got back what I paid for the original 715 combo. I can't see any difference in build quality at all, the green carpet covered 725 seems extremely robust but it is quite heavy...