Why become a member? ×

Frustrated of the Highlands... Adding to the knowledge bass

Skybone

I was going to post this in the "Having a Tutor" thread, but it's a bit of a tangent, so a new thread might be a better place for the query...

I've been playing for "a while" now, switched between bass & guitar over the years, but bass was where I started and where I'm happiest.

In the ongoing saga of trying to get an originals band going, I teamed up with a guitarist a few years back, and we've been working on songs for a while (when time & life allow!). The thing that's currently bugging me about my playing is that my fills & runs seem a bit "samey", and when I try other ideas out, they just don't work or sound quite as good as I'd like them to, and I end up going back to those "samey" sounding lines. The guitarist seems happy with the stuff that I'm doing, but I'd like to add something else in there, as well as adding to my knowledge & skills.

Does anyone know of any good resources for fills & runs, be it online, in a book or on a DVD or something. I think I need to expand my knowledge. I'm not particularly interested in learning a new playing technique, but some new ideas for the fret board hand wouldn't go amiss.

Yours,
Frustrated of the Highlands

I've been working on some theory and watching some of the Scott Devine videos on YouTube.
I'm also learning some new covers outside of my own personal taste in music for an audition I have coming up. Worked for me in getting inspired about playing bass again.
Best of luck.

Agree with just learning some covers outwith your normal taste in music. I started off in heavy rock so all my runs were samey. Moved my attention in to Jazz Rock ie Camel and that drifted me into other forms of jazz but not the out and out jazz which was a little to extreme for me. I ended up listening to a lot of Jack Bruce after Cream era and Jeff Berlin altho i'm nowhere near that level but i would pick up the odd simpler runs he would do. Still like a lot of the renowned bassists like Alain Carron, Jaco Pastorious had some great runs that you can pick up. I've gone thru various styles of bands from Rock, Prog, Glam tribute, Blues and now on a blues based funk rock band which is good fun.
Think you'll find most players have "their runs" incl Geddy Lee, Glenn Hughes and even Jeff Berlin uses many of his best runs.
What kind of music are you playing ?

Dave

I've been working on some theory and watching some of the Scott Devine videos on YouTube.
I'm also learning some new covers outside of my own personal taste in music for an audition I have coming up. Worked for me in getting inspired about playing bass again.
Best of luck.

All good advice, as ever though, it's getting the time to learn new songs and styles. It's hard enough trying to find the time just to get some practise time in at home.

Can anybody recommend any technique books / DVD's or online content?

Dave, we're trying to do something along the lines of "classic rock", and I have a classic rock/hard rock/metal background, mainly root & fifth or following the guitar riff with fills thrown in.

With this, I'm trying to do something different (for me at least), and work something around the guitar lines while keeping a groove going. Oh alright then, I'm just trying to make the basslines more interesting to play! :D

Edited by Skybone

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1491669120' post='3274689']
Try listening to other instruments like saxophone, trumpet, piano etc. Copping your licks off bass resources will provide a fairly narrow outlook.
[/quote]

That's a great idea. I remember trying to play Rick Wakeman's piano parts on Going For The One album. Awaken was my fav.

Have to admit i've played in many rock covers bands and most of the bass is quite standard with an occasional spark.

Dave

[quote name='Skybone' timestamp='1491668710' post='3274684']...
Can anybody recommend any technique books / DVD's or online content?...
[/quote]

If you have the time to listen to this album..

[url="http://youtu.be/iAdKoFVuVHY?list=PLC559A21DFE61E16F"]http://youtu.be/iAdK...559A21DFE61E16F[/url]

...You'll hear Jack Casady playing (mostly...) rock, live; it might give you some idea as to what can be done in the genre..? All the tracks are Good Stuff.

Edited by Dad3353