Why become a member? ×

Learning bass at work....

Just wondering if there is anything i can do or listen to whilst i'm at work? currently i have access to youtube and tend to listen to Scotts bass lessons or something similar for most of the day (whilst working), but obviously i don't have my guitar to hand so listening is all i can do. Is there anything else i can try??

Thanks for your help and comments,

Jonny

For what it's worth mate, I always find listening to the music I want to play helps, or even any music and pick out the bass and try to visualize what's happening on the fret board. But that's just me, I could never just listen to a lesson and take anything significant away from it without being able to play along, but I'm sure there are plenty people who can. Listening and visualization are big ones for me.

A thing I tend to do at work is tap out different beat divisions on the side of my mouse while I'm listening to a tune. It's a subtle way to work on your internal metronome. For me I get serious "red light syndrome" when recording (i.e. Your rehearsals are really tight but then your actual recorded take makes you panic and rush the beat). To combat this I try to get in as much subconscious rhythm practice as possible, tapping the side of my mouse, tapping my foot etc. I work in a fairly noisy office so there's not much danger of annoying people with it.

I find listening to songs a great learning aid. If you know the structure of the song by heart, through repeated listening, it makes learning it so much easier. You can then play the song through, in your head, while playing the bass part. Learn the song not just your part, that way you always know where you are in the music.