Why become a member? ×

Phil Jones Briefcase

Kevin Dean

[quote name='razze06' timestamp='1490624900' post='3266555']
Keep it raised off the floor, or somehow angle it towards your head and you'll get plenty monitoring.

It is happy to be run at full or near full volume, so don;t be shy with it!
[/quote] That's what I'm planning , have it on top of the PA Sub facing myself , It's one of the few foot prints that will sit on the PA subs , I'll have the bass rolled off as only need it to hear top End that I can't clearly hear what is coming out of the PA .

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1490699446' post='3267120']
That's what I'm planning , have it on top of the PA Sub facing myself , It's one of the few foot prints that will sit on the PA subs , I'll have the bass rolled off as only need it to hear top End that I can't clearly hear what is coming out of the PA .
[/quote]

Are you sure it won't fall off the sub? I have had plenty of bad experiences with stuff on top of speakers...

The tone of the briefcase is not particularly bassy and definitely not boomy, especially not close to the amp. You should be fine with fairly plain eq settings.

My experience of trying to push my Briefcase really hard is that it tends to fart out a bit too easily, and sounds really harsh.

That was using it as backline with an acoustic combo, but in a rammed pub where the crowd was making a simply stunning amount of noise shouting and laughing. Had my bass been going chiefly through the PA then I doubt this would have been an issue.

The shape of the combo and high centre of gravity make it a poor choice for balancing on top of other things.

Also worth mentioning how incredibly sweet the sound of that combo is at home volumes. I love playing through mine.

• 5 weeks later...

From experience, the briefcase alone really isn't enough. I hook the line out of the suitcase into the input of the briefcase; it gets pretty loud, but honestly the drummer I play with isn't that loud. PJB stuff is definitely more 'hi-fi' so maxing out the volume can swamp the sound. Prefer to keep volume at 70% or below, and I split the two amps either side of the stage.