Why become a member? ×

Warmoth

clauster

As my current project is going to be completed as soon as I get a sunny weekend in (Omni10 and LH500 Head to replace my Ashdown combo), I'm pre-planning my next bit of DIY.

I fancy a really simple bass - 51P body, jazz width telebass neck, 1 split p pickup (or possibly the Lindy Fralin split 51 pickup), one volume and a jack socket where the tone would normally be and either Gotoh or Badass bridge, lightweight vintage style tuners. I realise I could get the fender Mike Dirnt P and just whip out the tone control for less cash, but want something special to me.

I've searched the threads on here and there's certainly a lot of love for those who've gone the Warmoth route, but is there anyone who's had a bad experience of using Warmoth?

Just wanted to ask before I start earmarking funds.

(Editted for spelling)

Edited by clauster

Nope, that's exactly what I want to hear :)

I've even been through the unofficialwarmoth.com board and can't even find anyone on there who's been unhappy.

Once I've got my ultra simple P, the next step will be to pimp-up my Warwick Corvette to the max - active everything, switchable everything, etc, etc and then get/build a classic-style Jazz to cover the middle ground :-)

[quote name='clauster' post='311323' date='Oct 21 2008, 02:10 PM']Nope, that's exactly what I want to hear :)

I've even been through the unofficialwarmoth.com board and can't even find anyone on there who's been unhappy.

Once I've got my ultra simple P, the next step will be to pimp-up my Warwick Corvette to the max - active everything, switchable everything, etc, etc and then get/build a classic-style Jazz to cover the middle ground :-)[/quote]

I've posted a few times here saying how much I like them, so in the interests of balance I've been trying to find something I don't like about them.

All I can think of is that I got some dodgy advice one time - I asked if I could place a P pickguard on a dinky P body as a template to drill through the control holes and they said yes. If I'd done that I'd have missed the control cavity.

Other than that, and the fact that they have low resale value, still love 'em.

Edited by bremen

As far as I understand you're liable for import tax and duty, which is why I wanted to check no one's unhappy with what they have got from Warmoth.

(more spelling editing - where the hell did I come up with input tax?)

Edited by clauster

Nope. Still loving both of mine.

Incidentally both of mine have '54 bodies with jazz width necks and tele headstocks albeit with single coils. One's rear routed and one's front.

They have a solidity about them that I never felt with other basses- especially Rics. Perhaps something to do with me choosing the woods and components and putting it together myself.

I know I've taken the time to build it properly rather than owning a mass produced 'how many of these can we build this week?' bass which can vary wildly from bass to bass.

[quote name='clauster' post='312780' date='Oct 23 2008, 10:11 AM']That's good to hear about the necks, I like quite a deep profile. I'm one of the few that loves Warwick's bolt-on necks.[/quote]

yeah, the necks are geet big solid things. Much deeper than my CIJ Precision.

That's good for avoiding dead spots, right?