Why become a member? ×

Precisionitis

Guest MoJo

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1488559119' post='3250062']
Precision all the way for me, too - that is the tone that defines bass guitar as far as I am concerned. I have three 4 string basses that I will be keeping - 2 are JV Squier Precisons.

I found myself with a problem when I moved to 5 string basses and found that Fender/Squier 5 string Precisions were either a/ too heavy and/or b/ string spacing too wide. Solved by putting a Precision pickup into a MM Sterling 5 that was lighter with tighter spacing. Then I tried a Yamaha BB425 and find I am liking the P pup in that very much.
[/quote]

I have a 424x.....fantastic P pickup in that plus the bonus of the added J pickup.....belt n braces :)

Yup. Plus the middle position gives a burp similar to, but not exactly like, the Fender P/Js I have had. I reckon those BB424/425s are unbelievable for the money.

I've read on here many times that Yamaha make the best precision basses and I am beginning to wonder if there might be something in that... I really am GASing for a 80s BB5000 as I reckon that will be sublime.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1488561611' post='3250101']
Yup. Plus the middle position gives a burp similar to, but not exactly like, the Fender P/Js I have had. I reckon those BB424/425s are unbelievable for the money.

I've read on here many times that Yamaha make the best precision basses and I am beginning to wonder if there might be something in that... I really am GASing for a 80s BB5000 as I reckon that will be sublime.
[/quote]

Completely agree! The Yams are impressive all round and a great workhorse. Mine has become my go to bass.

It's a strange condition this Precionitis. I recently caught the 'late onset' version after 50 trouble-free playing years. Suddenly I just HAD TO KNOW what all the fuss is about. Bought a cheap but lovely Vintage White Squier VM wearing flats from basschatter the brig - and it just put a smile on my face the first time I plugged it in to my rig - and every time after that. It became known as 'The Boss' in the Scrumpy household until, having scratched the itch, I decided to let it go to a young guitarist in one of my bands who's seriously interested in crossing over to the deep and mellow side. Being a student, he's permanently skint so I passed it on for the bargain price I paid together with a nice TE stack on sale or return (so far no sale and no return either!). To say he's besotted with it - and frighteningly good on it - would be an understatement.

After all these years I totally get it now. If I could handle a P properly I'd probably play nothing else.