Why become a member? ×

Anyone here not a fan of flats?

Davo-London

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1487588991' post='3240887']
Anyone got a decent set that's only been on a bit that they're getting shot of? Precision length. I'm actually quite tempted, bit for the price. I could be converted to the dark side. I've just put a fresh set of Nanowebs on my P. It'll be a few months.
[/quote]

Hopefully someone can oblige. One thing (well..two actually..) to remember about flats :

1. They can generally be very high tension, though a few brands makes ones with less tension. The Thomastiks (TI's) one of the lowest tension strings out there.

2. When you put them on new, it takes (depending how often you play) perhaps a month or two for them to break in.

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1487592361' post='3240937']
Hopefully someone can oblige. One thing (well..two actually..) to remember about flats :

1. They can generally be very high tension, though a few brands makes ones with less tension. The Thomastiks (TI's) one of the lowest tension strings out there.

2. When you put them on new, it takes (depending how often you play) perhaps a month or two for them to break in.
[/quote]

Interesting point with number 2. A certain Mr Steve Harris famously uses flatwounds and has them changed before every gig / session. I guess for him then it's about the feel of flats rather than the sound? Also probably helps that he no doubt gets them for free.

I'm not a fan of flats. Tried them a couple of times, and they just sound dull to me, and they're a bit too expensive to buy just to find out you don't like them.

I'll stick with the roundwounds thanks.

Edited by Skybone

[quote name='Skybone' timestamp='1487593048' post='3240952']
I'm not a fan of flats. Tried them a couple of times, and they just sound dull to me, and they're a bit too expensive to buy just to find out you don't like them.

I'll stick with the roundwounds thanks.
[/quote]

Whilst I agree for Solo'd Bass, I'm assuming (never having gigged with flats) that the real difference in fundamental tone becomes apparent in a band mix? Genuine question for those with gigging experience of flats!

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1487592870' post='3240947']
Interesting point with number 2. A certain Mr Steve Harris famously uses flatwounds and has them changed before every gig / session. I guess for him then it's about the feel of flats rather than the sound?
[/quote]

Far be it from me to question what Mr. Harris does. However, the above does not make sense to me. As for the feel...some flats actually feel a bit sticky for a while, until they are broken in.

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1487592870' post='3240947']
Interesting point with number 2. A certain Mr Steve Harris famously uses flatwounds and has them changed before every gig / session. I guess for him then it's about the feel of flats rather than the sound? Also probably helps that he no doubt gets them for free.
[/quote]

Given the amount of processing and treble added to his tone between the guitar and amp, I've often wondered whether Mr Harris has missed a trick and not realised he could probably get his tone using rounds and backing off his tone control...

As mentioned, there are low tension flats out there, LaBella market some an Thomastik are notoriously low tension, though very Marmite. Ernie Ball cobalt flats are low tension too.

Problem is, some guys who use 45-105 rounds get the same gauge in flats when a lower gauge might be more suited. I like thinner flats anyway for a clearer tone, unless you want to seriously fill the room and move some air because fat flats are killer for that.

I love Thomastiks and Fender 9050L light gauge flats --BUT-- the new Ernie Ball cobalt flatwound are my new faves and amazing strings - possibly even a flat to convert some folk. They are not as bright as rounds, but a great alternative to old school flats. I got the second lightest guage (45-100) as I heard them were low tension, they didn't disappoint.