Why become a member? ×

Bridge issue - opinions please

Musashimonkey

Hi!

I setup my basses with very low action, and encountered in this situation many times, in basses as expensive as Foderas... And if it's a pain having to shim it, worse is in a neck-though bass, and I found in some as well.

So, you can return the bass, shim it (probably a very thin shim will work), or sand the saddle to lower where the string sits.

And for the Plek setup, you'll need to adjust it now, but even without this trouble, in a few months, or when changing strings gauge or brand, you'll have to do it likewise.

Brilliant, thanks for all the help guys. And an interesting discussion topic. 😊

Just for clarity: (Plek is standard on all Sandbergs, the listing was unclear, but it is the fret markers that were the costed upgraded).

Neck Shim or sanding the saddle seem like the options. Sandberg want to go with the saddle option and have been very helpful. As have the shop staff. 😊

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1483710804' post='3209444']
That's fair enough for something made in the days when pin routers were the height of wood-working sophistication, but it's no longer the 1950s and these days pretty much everything that isn't individually crafted by a master luthier is produced on a CNC machine where it is simple to get the angles required. Add this to the fact that there's a surprisingly large amount of vertical adjustment available in even the BBT bridge and there is no reason why modern bolt-on guitars and basses can't be made with either the pocket or the heel machined to the correct angle instead of messing about with shims.
[/quote]

of course they could be made... but the question is, if you are a large scale manufacturer... why should you? Would that result in significantly better sales? I bet they thought not, which is why they do what they do. Some of you imply a shim makes a bass defective or something. I don't think so. It seems most people don't know or don't care... so why would they change something that works? Until they find a good reason, they won't.

I've had to file down bridge saddles on many basses from lots of top manufacturers. I like my action super low and often the bridge just won't go down far enough. I tend to file it down below what I require so I can use the grub screws to set it exactly and leave me with some adjustment in both directions.

I'm used to neck though basses where the fretboard is only marginally higher than the body of the bass so only very low set bridges will do the job. My fave is the Schaller 3D.

Thanks guys, the support is really appreciated. Definitely increased my understanding of shims. Schaller 3D is probably my favourite bridge too, takes care of your every wish for adjustments.

Just wanted to say that Sandberg customer service have been great, quick communications, very polite, and putting a luthier in contact immediately. So too has the UK shop, lots of support and understanding all round. 😊 Thank you.

[quote name='Musashimonkey' timestamp='1483775097' post='3209968']
Thanks guys, the support is really appreciated. Definitely increased my understanding of shims. Schaller 3D is probably my favourite bridge too, takes care of your every wish for adjustments.

Just wanted to say that Sandberg customer service have been great, quick communications, very polite, and putting a luthier in contact immediately. So too has the UK shop, lots of support and understanding all round. Thank you.
[/quote]

glad to hear that. A good company demonstrates its greatness on how they deal with problems. I hope you get the bass you were wanting soon :)