Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Are Tremolo and Vibrato not the same thing then?

SpondonBassed

[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1482361458' post='3199984']
You're very welcome mr Spondon.

I used to yearn for a spondon frame when i was a lot younger, but never had the sheckles
[/quote]

That sounds very like the start of a new topic. Care to join me and tell me what engine you'd have had in a Spondon frame?
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/297316-custom-framed-motorcycles/

[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1482425520' post='3200512']
I've never had an engine in a spondon frame , hence me posting i used to yearn for one but never had the sheckles
[/quote]

Sorry I think you misread my question "what would you have had?" This is now a topic of its own at the link location I posted above.

Let's not hijack this one any further.

Edited by SpondonBassed

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1482360756' post='3199970']
@ Beer of the Bass, I can accept that there is a pitch change which although barely perceptible, would have a noticeable effect. Sort of like low level "wow-and flutter" as we called it in days of vinyl and affordable turntables.
[/quote]

Because the doppler effect of the Leslie cabinet is created by moving the sound source (the speaker) relative to the listener, you get both vibrato and tremolo in equal measures as can be heard on any of the Hammond and Leslie clips available on YouTube.

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1482360756' post='3199970']
@ Fleabag, it seems that Univibe is more appropriate since there is a proprietory effect that does all of what we're talking about. Excellent yooboob clips thanks.

@ Beer of the Bass, I can accept that there is a pitch change which although barely perceptible, would have a noticeable effect. Sort of like low level "wow-and flutter" as we called it in days of vinyl and affordable turntables.
[/quote]
[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1482431945' post='3200586']
Because the doppler effect of the Leslie cabinet is created by moving the sound source (the speaker) relative to the listener, you get both vibrato and tremolo in equal measures as can be heard on any of the Hammond and Leslie clips available on YouTube.
[/quote]

A couple of further thoughts on the changes in pitch and timing. Don't under estimate the effects that these can have on the sound even if the differences are minute. Think of how a chorus or a flanger works... see here for an accessible and hilarious guide to how effects work... http://www.monkeyfx.co.uk/fxguide.html

In a chorus the differences in timing are pretty minuscule and in a flanger the pitch variation is pretty minuscule but you can still definitely hear the modulations in the effect. Also, in terms of changes of pitch, it's not so much the ACTUAL changes in pitch you're hearing, it's is the interaction between the pitches. Think back to school physics lessons and the diffraction fringes you get with waves and how when you have two similar but different frequencies you get "beating" between the two frequencies. This is how tuning with harmonics works. So all that is going on in a Leslie cab too because of those micro pitch and timing differences.