Why become a member? ×

Fender Jazz Bass Special White immaculate!
£600

lastanthem88

[color=#1D2129][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Ok so this is a bit of a tester, but let see. For years I wanted a Fender Jazz Special in white, to go with my all black version... finally bought one from the Netherlands a few years ago.[/font][/color]
[color=#1D2129][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]In the meantime, I've discovered road worn basses and now my two gigging guitars are both this type... I'd never sell the black one, but this white one has now been hung on the wall for six months and it's a real waste.[/font][/color]
[color=#1D2129][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]This cost me £690.00 delivered about two years ago. I'm pretty sure it's a refin, as now way would the white still sparkle and look like that after thirty years![/font][/color]
[color=#1D2129][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]It's in great condition. Neck is lovely, and it has the TBX tone system made famous by Duff of Guns N Roses... passive with the P/J config.[/font][/color]
[color=#1D2129][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Looking for £400.00.[/font][/color]
[color=#1D2129][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Any interest?[/font][/color]

Edited by lastanthem88

I have a black one, all original and it's a lovely thing.

Since I bought mine prices have gone a bit silly and this one is in line with others I seen for sale recently.

It's increasingly hard to get one that hasn't had the pickups swapped out, and the VVT F knobs are very scarce.

Yeah, I suspect they are replacements. I have the black version of this which is def all original and the poles are slightly smaller. It's the same sound though, pretty much identical to my ear - anyone looking for that Duff treble mid sound which cuts and 'clunks' through can def get it with this.

Regarding the value, I know they were always priced at around the £400.00 mark, but in all honesty I think they are way better than that. I've played £700.00 - £1000.00 fenders that aren't as good as either of my jazz bass specials, and it's pretty subjective... being a massive Guns fan I was happy to buy it for that price at the time and I think to anyone looking for one of these, they are 'worth' the £600.00 price.

Had a couple of 'experts' on Facebook telling me how much this is worth, which annoyed me slightly as they had no interest in the bass at all. It's worth what someone will pay for it, that's always the way of the world surely... I know a power JBS just sold on here for £600.00 and I think these are comparable.

In all honesty if it doesn't sell I won't be bothered. It's absolutely worth more than £400.00 to me anyway haha!

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1482334462' post='3199679']
I may be wrong but I think that's had a pickup change too?

IIRC, they had pickups with large pole pieces, like modern day Duncan QP's....

EDIT: I've owned 3 of these, was a while ago mind you....
[/quote]
[quote name='lastanthem88' timestamp='1482337941' post='3199714']
Yeah, I suspect they are replacements. I have the black version of this which is def all original and the poles are slightly smaller. It's the same sound though, pretty much identical to my ear - anyone looking for that Duff treble mid sound which cuts and 'clunks' through can def get it with this.

[/quote]

Actually, I'd say not - This bass is a Japanese Jazz Bass Special which technically wasn't a Duff McKagan bass. These were stock rather like my pair of Power Jazz Bass Specials. The newer Mexican Duff models do indeed have pickups to match the upgrades that Duff McKagan made to his own basses over the years. Interestingly, the original Jazz Bass Specials don't have the same neck as the version Duff had and subsequently the Mexi signature models. His own white bass and possibly the black version has a P neck on it whilst the stock JBS basses have a J neck.

That said, it doesn't detract one bit from the fact that these Japanese basses are stunning and amongst the best to come out of Fender Japan. Case in point, I have a CIJ precision neck here which is far nicer than the current Mexi equivalent.

Good luck with the sale!

Dood - yes that's absolutely correct. Duff went to Seymour Duncan pick ups, but these aren't those... and I have a black jazz bass special too and the poles are definitely different.

Both of Duffs original jazz bass specials have the black neck, both of mine have the maple neck with the skunk stripe.

His neck is somewhere between a jazz and a precision, which I would personally say both my models are in terms of width, however they are shallower than a normal P bass profile neck.

I tried a duff signature when they first came out, to my hand the neck wasn't quite quite as comfortable (obviously subjective) and personally all I can say is the Japanese originals sounded better to my ears.

This is a really great bass and a massive bonus For a guns fan, so if it doesn't sell... I don't be heartbroken!

• 1 month later...