Why become a member? ×

Damaging Your Expensive Ported Cab?

Phil Starr

Thanks to Phil (and Alex, and Bill) and the other contributors. It's threads like this one that keep me coming back to Basschat, and as the saying goes, your never too old to learn. I have in the past fried speakers and its an expensive hobby. Mine was not understanding how the amp shared its load across two cabs, meaning I fried two cones in my 500w cab whilst my 700w escaped unharmed. After that, I have been a lot more careful matching watts and ohms. Oh and I have a Microthumpinator on order to act as the first line of defense ;-)

[quote name='JPJ' timestamp='1484849805' post='3219121']
Thanks to Phil (and Alex, and Bill) and the other contributors. It's threads like this one that keep me coming back to Basschat, and as the saying goes, your never too old to learn. I have in the past fried speakers and its an expensive hobby. Mine was not understanding how the amp shared its load across two cabs, meaning I fried two cones in my 500w cab whilst my 700w escaped unharmed. After that, I have been a lot more careful matching watts and ohms. Oh and I have a Microthumpinator on order to act as the first line of defense ;-)
[/quote]

Big plus 1 to this sentiment. We are so fortunate to have this level of expertise freely given.

[quote name='sratas' timestamp='1484305147' post='3214474']it seems that I have been lucky and/or Barefaced cabs are idiot proof[/quote][quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1484307168' post='3214511']They pretty much are, for a given value of idiot! ;)[/quote]
There's an old saying: [i]If you make it idiot-proof, someone will build a better idiot.[/i] :lol: