Why become a member? ×

Guess what I played through last night

steve-soar

Carlsbro Stingray - my first “proper” amp (head & 4x12), circa 1978, complete with red "fart" button (it worked). How I gloated over it, and the name sounded a bit like "Marlboro" so had to be cool.
No idea if it was any good, I was playing a Columbus Jazz copy through it that would have made a pro rig sound naff. Sold it to the keyboard player.

[quote name='bassman2790' post='306757' date='Oct 14 2008, 11:06 PM']Far better IMHO than the SVT350 that I played through at Robanna's on Monday night.[/quote]
I've played through at least two SVT350s at Robanna's and they've been crap, only surpassed by the dreadful weedy SWR they gave me because the input jack on one of the SVTs was packing up. The Ashdowns have been better, until the last rehearsal and an Ashdown 4x10 combo that made a Hohner Jack sound like a Precision with flatwounds being played through a pillow. At least it gives me a chance to cross gear off my "I might want that" list (the David Eden 4x10s went on there too).

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='306853' date='Oct 15 2008, 09:19 AM']Buy a passive DI box, rip the guts out of it and fit it all in your head. Connect the input in parallel with your effects loop out probably.[/quote]

Just what I was going to say.

Be a good project to post in the repairs section where the more technical bretheren hang out a lot - sure they'd help with the finer aspects of it.

[quote name='tauzero' post='306941' date='Oct 15 2008, 11:09 AM']At least it gives me a chance to cross gear off my "I might want that" list (the David Eden 4x10s went on there too).[/quote]

I didn't rate the David Eden gear in there either. If a few more studios would have a selection of high end gear that you could try, I'm sure we could cure a lot of GAS affecting so many people on this forum.
I'm sticking with my Laney B1

Edited by bassman2790

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='306947' date='Oct 15 2008, 11:16 AM']Just what I was going to say.

Be a good project to post in the repairs section where the more technical bretheren hang out a lot - sure they'd help with the finer aspects of it.[/quote]

With my training as a recruitment consultant, I should have no trouble with this little project.

[quote name='johnnylager' post='306953' date='Oct 15 2008, 11:24 AM']Trucker 65w 1x15 combo. Lasted 1 rehearsal, well most of it. Replaced by a Marshall stack that got us thrown out of the [s]village hall[/s] rehearsal studio[/quote]

I think that was my first bass combo as well. I got mine from Macaris in Charring cross road.
I remember my mum took me there on the bus. got a colorsound phaser as well.

EDIT: just remembered it was actually a Trucker 50watt guitar combo. And yes, i was playing guitar not bass then but when i switched to bass i still used it for a while.
Its a long, long time ago.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='bassman2790' post='306757' date='Oct 14 2008, 11:06 PM']When the 300 watt Behringer head that I normally play through at the studio packed in tonight the studio owner dug out an old dusty two channel Acoustic head which, he assures me, has been used by Jim Lea at some time in the past and I kid you not, it was fantastic. Loads of power and a huge sound.
.[/quote]

I use an acoustic amp in preference to either my eden or my ashdown.

does he want to sell it?

Edited by bumnote