Why become a member? ×

Cable keeps popping out of amp during gigs. Help!

vinorange

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1480416530' post='3184136']
It's not new, the 750's were superseded by the 800's a few years ago and "back" is somewhere near Chicago.
[/quote]

Ok. Sounds like the Jack has probably worn over the years then. Just replace it.

Can the OP take a amp guts picture of the jack socket? Depending of the type of socket it can be possible to carefully bend the spring back in to place.

+1 for not messing around with the amp, just get some quality Neutrik jacks, mine have been going strong for the past 5 years and i've made them myself with Klotz cable and Neutrik connectors. After getting good cables (OBBM is a faster and great quality option too) you should get that input socket reviewed by a tech if you dont know what you're doing, it's easy to pull it out of the PCB and make it a harder and more expensive fix.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1480418657' post='3184162']
Ok. Sounds like the Jack has probably worn over the years then. Just replace it.
[/quote]
I don't get this conclusion and a "probably" in a sentence would make me stop and think.

I'd want more info on the problem and other, more sensible, actions taken first.

Does this happen with other cables? What were the other cables? Not more Planet Waves I hope. Will wrapping the cable around the cab or amp case handle fix the problem?

The OP is saying that he isn't doing anything to cause the problem, but if the cable isn't anchored then any movement by him might be helping. It's a used amp. Call the previous owner and ask if this was a problem for him.

I'd read the thread again Chris.

It happens with all cables. They're not getting pulled out, they're sliding out on their own accord "due to the amp vibrating".

The Planet Waves one is worse.

If the tip contact has lost its spring it won't latch down behind the tip and the jack will not be held into the socket.

It happens with all plugs in that socket but doesn't happen with those plugs in other sockets. Therefore the problem is that socket. It's not difficult to diagnose.

Edited by TimR

All good points.

It's 2nd hand. Apparently it wasn't an issue for the previous owner. Apparently.....

It's not me moving causing the cable to be spat out - it's speaker vibrations which should be eliminated by my gator case. Tethering the cable may help which I'll try.

The neutrik jacks havent arrivred yet so no action to be taken by me yet and ok i wont shave a miniscule bit off the collar. I'll wait to see how the neutrik works and then just replace the fatter jacks if thst cures matters.

longer term I may replace the input socket with a nice neutrik locking socket. I never had this before so it must be the socket at fault one way or another.

[quote name='obbm' timestamp='1480370180' post='3183870']
Neutrik say on their web site that Silent jacks are not recommended for active instruments. This is because the ring connection in the jack is used to power the onboard pre-amp. As you insert the jack the pre-amp is powered and is charging its capacitors at the same time as the muting comes off resulting in noise through the amp.
[/quote]

I've never noticed it, and I plug and unplug my bass several times over the course of a rehearsal (I go wireless for gigs).

[quote name='vinorange' timestamp='1480441523' post='3184450']
(...)

longer term I may replace the input socket with a nice neutrik locking socket. I never had this before so it must be the socket at fault one way or another.
[/quote]

You keep saying this but it's not as easy as you might think. You'll need to hack the amp's enclosure to fit the Neutrick locking socket and that will devalue your amp. It will also be very improbable that the connections on the Neutrick plug will fit the PCB withpout some wiring. Right now you should have this type of plug in your amp:

And here's a Neutrick socket:

You'll need a much bigger hole for them to fit. Just get a direct replacement input socket if the spring on that one can't be tightened and use good quality cables. It will last you a lifetime.

[quote name='obbm' timestamp='1480373006' post='3183927']
Paragraph headed Attention [url="http://www.neutrik.co.uk/en-uk/plugs-jacks/silentplug/np2rx-au-silent"]http://www.neutrik.c...np2rx-au-silent[/url]
[/quote]

Which says "[size=4][color=#333333][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Please note that the signal isn't muted with some types of active electric guitars which are equipped with tip-ring-sleeve jacks that tap to activate the guitar power supply."[/font][/color][/size]

[size=4][color=#333333][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I'm not sure what it means. Signal muting happens when the lead isn't fully inserted, it's done by shorting the tip to the sleeve, and it relies on the movement of the sleeve to switch the reed switch.[/font][/color][/size][color=#333333][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=1]
"[/size][/font][/color]