Why become a member? ×

jack casady bass

hookys6stringbass

Superb, I'd love one of these, but never had the cash when one came up on the bay.

I [i]personally[/i] wouldn't worry about the scale. It is what it is, and I wouldn't be looking to alter an already great bass, just enjoy it how Jack intended it to be.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='305182' date='Oct 13 2008, 07:13 AM']Hummn an extra fret to that fretboard would require pretty major surgery I'm afraid, I guess not impossible but very expensive. ....[/quote]
Shouldn't be...

All it needs is to have a small piece of extra fingerboard fitted to the top, and a fret added. If you're really lucky the fret position will coincide with the end of the existing fingerboard so it will cover the join - although it doesn't quite look like it in the pic. It will involve carefully cutting through the finish on the top to make a good joint, but I wouldn't have thought it would be more than a couple of hours' work at most, and probably less.

You don't even necessarily have to make it a full-width extension, if you only ever play the G string up that high - that would make it much easier since you wouldn't have to get the height and curvature correct across the whole width of the neck.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='305366' date='Oct 13 2008, 11:59 AM']Do you regularly play up the dusty end of the neck...? It's just that that particular instrument doesn't strike me as one for pyrotechnics...?[/quote]

Just what i was going to say, you could just tune up a semi tone

[quote name='Thunderhead' post='305264' date='Oct 13 2008, 09:18 AM']Shouldn't be...[/quote]
The major surgery wouldn't be adding an extension to the fretboard but extending the cutaway to reach the new fret. It might be possible without adjustments but if you regularly go up there, the body is going to keep getting in the way.

As other posters have mentioned, probably better to play it for what it is - bend the string if you need that extra semitone rather than hacking into the bass.

Wulf

[quote name='Thunderhead' post='305264' date='Oct 13 2008, 10:18 AM']Shouldn't be...

All it needs is to have a small piece of extra fingerboard fitted to the top, and a fret added. If you're really lucky the fret position will coincide with the end of the existing fingerboard so it will cover the join - although it doesn't quite look like it in the pic. It will involve carefully cutting through the finish on the top to make a good joint, but I wouldn't have thought it would be more than a couple of hours' work at most, and probably less.

You don't even necessarily have to make it a full-width extension, if you only ever play the G string up that high - that would make it much easier since you wouldn't have to get the height and curvature correct across the whole width of the neck.[/quote]

I'm not sure I agree with that assessment. Couple of hours work? Great potential for damage to the instrument. Not worth the risk IMHO. That's what I would be telling anyone who came to me proposing a job like that. Just enjoy the instrument for what it is.

[quote name='wulf' post='305408' date='Oct 13 2008, 12:28 PM']The major surgery wouldn't be adding an extension to the fretboard but extending the cutaway to reach the new fret. It might be possible without adjustments but if you regularly go up there, the body is going to keep getting in the way.[/quote]Just reach over it. I regularly do that sort of stuff playing high up on a non-cutaway acoustic guitar, it's just a technique you have to learn. I would never even consider altering the cutaway - I literally never thought of it until I saw your post.

[quote name='neepheid' post='305441' date='Oct 13 2008, 01:13 PM']I'm not sure I agree with that assessment. Couple of hours work? Great potential for damage to the instrument.[/quote]
With respect, nonsense. Cut out a small area of finish from the front, and glue in a piece of rosewood that you have already shaped away from the bass, possibly with the fret already installed if as I think the slot will not be on the join, if necessary do a small amount of work on the fret height to get it absolutely right, and possibly touch up the finish around the edge. Where is the great potential for damage there? You will not be cutting any wood at all on the instrument.

I'm not saying it's a home DIY job but no competent luthier would have any kind of problem doing that.

Edited by Thunderhead

[quote name='Thunderhead' post='305973' date='Oct 14 2008, 08:18 AM']I'm not saying it's a home DIY job but no competent luthier would have any kind of problem doing that.[/quote]

That's the bit that was missing from your original post. The way you were talking, it was reading (to me at least) that the owner would have no problem doing this his/herself :)