Why become a member? ×

Bass Collection - "Frankenstein" John Entwistle bass

bigsmokebass

Hey guys,

I've been looking at the Bass Collection basses for some years now- pretty much since they started up again from the previous Nanyo Speakeasy days, now with the Jive and Power basses from Bass Centre (I believe, who now have them produced).
I've been toying with the idea of the Frankenstein bass, not only for it being an Entwistle model but just seems a decent bass for the money (very much a Fender 50's classic) . I'd love a bass I'm not afraid of getting worn in and well played, as I'm pretty OCD about keeping my basses pristine.

However, never playing one or seeing them in person, I'd really love to hear some feedback: good and bad. Ideally, from anyone with this specific model as well as the general impression of Bass Collection.
My greatest fear is spending £325 on a bass that is no different to my sub £150 Westfield Pbass I started on 14 years ago. :-/

BSB

Edited by bigsmokebass

[quote name='bigsmokebass' timestamp='1476200861' post='3152250']
Hey guys,

I've been looking at the Bass Collection basses for some years now- pretty much since they started up again from the previous Nanyo Speakeasy days, now with the Jive and Power basses from Bass Centre (I believe, who now have them produced).
I've been toying with the idea of the Frankenstein bass, not only for it being an Entwhistle model but just seems a decent bass for the money (very much a Fender 50's classic) . I'd love a bass I'm not afraid of getting worn in and well played, as I'm pretty OCD about keeping my basses pristine.

However, never playing one or seeing them in person, I'd really love to hear some feedback: good and bad. Ideally, from anyone with this specific model as well as the general impression of Bass Collection.
My greatest fear is spending £325 on a bass that is no different to my sub £150 Westfield Pbass I started on 14 years ago. :-/

BSB
[/quote]
I haven't tried any, But know that Norman Watt Roy was using his signature bass collection sig when he did a gig here a while back. I t sounded great and he siad it was a nice bass.
I think the bass collection basses are a lot of bass for not very much £. I'd imagine they would have a return policy as well if you weren't happy with what you have bought?

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1476201270' post='3152256']
Entwistle. EntWISTLE. :lol:

I've heard nothing but good things about the Bass Collection,erm... collection, but the whole JE signature/tribute bass thing is a bit tasteless IMHO. It looks a bit like a bass he used to play but that's about it.
[/quote]

I bow my head in shame, I know it was my autocorrect but I should have checked and not assumed it's always right :(
*runs and hides*

I've heard all good about BC as well but seeing as this is an "artist" model, I'm not sure whether this is another Power bass in a 'signature' finish or whether it has a different neck specs or electronics.... hard to say without trying one.

As for the name, I'm with you there but all the same, if I was to buy a BC bass, why not go for one close to my heroes bass? That or the Lizzy Bass. Do it in style ;)
For me though, Dean have milked artists that have passed well and truly from Dimebag and now JE and I dare imagine anyone else added to that list.

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1476201257' post='3152255']

I haven't tried any, But know that Norman Watt Roy was using his signature bass collection sig when he did a gig here a while back. I t sounded great and he siad it was a nice bass.
I think the bass collection basses are a lot of bass for not very much £. I'd imagine they would have a return policy as well if you weren't happy with what you have bought?
[/quote]

Pretty sure he has one of the Master built basses as much as a standard budget model, did he play both or...?

[quote name='bigsmokebass' timestamp='1476206132' post='3152336']
Pretty sure he has one of the Master built basses as much as a standard budget model, did he play both or...?
[/quote]
He only used the one and it was this one, http://www.basscentre.com/british-bass-masters/bass-centre-rhythm-stick.html The standard model as far as I'm aware. (my photo of him there :) )

I can't say I've tried it, but in my opinion it doesn't seem to be a kind of bass that would produce his sort of tone! It may very well be a good bass for the money however :) I just don't see any particular connection between John's frankenstein and that bass apart from the aesthetics. But just my thoughts :)

[quote name='The-Ox' timestamp='1476276993' post='3152930']
I can't say I've tried it, but in my opinion it doesn't seem to be a kind of bass that would produce his sort of tone! It may very well be a good bass for the money however :) I just don't see any particular connection between John's frankenstein and that bass apart from the aesthetics. But just my thoughts :)
[/quote]

Thanks Ox. Don't know whether I'd be looking to replicate the JE sound £325 or seriously my mind would be blown. Just wondering as to whether the model is any different to the standard model as for neck, tones... whether it would have a classic 50's or 60's neck- anything closer to the JE model as to a colour scheme similar to it.

[quote name='bigsmokebass' timestamp='1476302199' post='3153241']
Thanks Ox. Don't know whether I'd be looking to replicate the JE sound £325 or seriously my mind would be blown. Just wondering as to whether the model is any different to the standard model as for neck, tones... whether it would have a classic 50's or 60's neck- anything closer to the JE model as to a colour scheme similar to it.
[/quote]

no worries. Ah yeah fair enough, replicating it for £325 would seriously be impressive! If you do try one let us know how you get on!

[quote name='The-Ox' timestamp='1476304088' post='3153260']

no worries. Ah yeah fair enough, replicating it for £325 would seriously be impressive! If you do try one let us know how you get on!
[/quote]

I shall wait for one of my basses to sell and then invest in it anyway, for the price I'm sure to be amazed anyway and I shall also include a video for YouTube as there's nothing out there (that I can see) thanks for the help Ox ;)

[quote name='lefrash' timestamp='1476340774' post='3153392']
😂

It is. Not convinced I can hear any extra sustain but it looks cool! 😀
[/quote]

I found adding the Hipshot SuperTone to my Gibson KN RD actually made a load of difference to the tone, which was actually really surprising... so I can only assume if you had the same bass with and without the babicz you'd probably notice what difference it makes.

I'm not sure if I would stick one on the JE pbass though, For less I'd probably swap out the pickups and electronics: being cheaper and a better sound to a bridge.

[quote name='bigsmokebass' timestamp='1476316961' post='3153356']

I shall wait for one of my basses to sell and then invest in it anyway, for the price I'm sure to be amazed anyway and I shall also include a video for YouTube as there's nothing out there (that I can see) thanks for the help Ox ;)
[/quote]

No worries! I hope you get on well with the bass! For what its worth, I'd higjly recommend a gotoh bridge, endless Entwistle sustain and harmonics! :)

[quote name='Raggy' timestamp='1476350658' post='3153468']
Thanks Bigsmokebass and Highfox, I've now got GAS for one of these [url="http://www.basscentre.com/british-bass-masters/bass-centre-rhythm-stick.html"]http://www.basscentr...ythm-stick.html[/url]
:gas: :blink:
[/quote]

That's all Highfox's work right there ;) hahaha. Rather fantastic looking basses, all of them. Just hope they sound better