Why become a member? ×

Wood split around tuning pegs

Geoff

Hey up,

I bought a Sandberg California at the beginning of September and have started to notice some small cracks in the wood around the tuning pegs. As the cracks are small at the moment its hard to tell if its a deeper crack through the wood or a split through the laquer. I have emailed Sandberg about it, asking whether I could get a replacement neck if need be, but havent heard anything back yet, so was wondering if anyone could give any advice on repairs that can be done or at least put my mind to rest. I know its not bad at the moment, but would rather be pro-active then end up with my headstock snapping through.

The photo below shows one of the splits.

I'd have a look at the hole the ferrule and tuning peg goes through and see if it extends down beyond the surface. I can give you the number for PMT in Brum. They have large selection of Sandbergs, and the bass guy in there loves 'em. He sold me two fer crissakes!!!

Thanks Crazykiwi and Yorick. Im going to give it a bit more time for a reply, but if I get no joy i'll definately take help!

Burpster - There are 2 smaller cracks from the 1st and 2nd peg, which dont show up on camera unfortunately.

Is kinda annoying as it is a new bass and it was fine when shipped, so im guessing the pegs are screwed on too tight maybe or the wood isnt seasoned properly? My other Sandberg has done me well for many years so i'm pretty confident on the quality of them, I mustve just got a duff one haha

[quote name='Geoff' post='302588' date='Oct 8 2008, 10:24 PM']Thanks Crazykiwi and Yorick. Im going to give it a bit more time for a reply, but if I get no joy i'll definately take help!

Burpster - There are 2 smaller cracks from the 1st and 2nd peg, which dont show up on camera unfortunately.

Is kinda annoying as it is a new bass and it was fine when shipped, so im guessing the pegs are screwed on too tight maybe or the wood isnt seasoned properly? My other Sandberg has done me well for many years so i'm pretty confident on the quality of them, I mustve just got a duff one haha[/quote]

1 Crack would suggest overtightening but several suggests poor wood selection to me as you guessed. My mate had the same problem with a Gibson LP guitar.... They fell overthemselves to replace it and the finish on the body at neck joint cracked on it.... :)

It was at this juncture (about 8 yrs ago) he told Gibbo to "go do one" and got his 1st PRS..... Needless to say he has more than one now....!

:huh:

I would hope S-berg would be more than happy to change this, as bad press isn't something they would solicit.... is it?