Why become a member? ×

fender jazz

archie84

hi everyone. iv been given a fender jazz to try before i buy it off a friend of a friend who is selling all his gear due to ill health. i cant shake the feeling this isnt all its it should be. the neck dosent sit on the body perfectly like it dose on my squire jazz. theres no serial number on the back of the neck like on my swuire. how can i determine if this is a genuine fender jazz

Edited by archie84

Remove the scratch plate and check the routing around the pickups and it may also have the circular cnc/drugs stash hole. I can`t remember if the US models had these or just the Mexican models?

If it`s a Mighty mite neck it`s not a US model. Nothing wrong with MM necks but if the neck isn`t US, I doubt the body will be.

Edited by jezzaboy

[quote name='archie84' timestamp='1475525860' post='3146707']
hese unfortionatly in and out of the hospital at the moment so im not able to question him on it. he just handed it over and said try this one. this is a lovely jazz bass.
[/quote]

How much is he looking for it? If you like the bass and it`s a good price, get it.

The 1st string tuner is way out of square, and there appears to be a screw hole just above the 2nd string tuner.
Hard to tell for sure, but it looks like someone has put a Fender logo on the neck.

I have put Mighty Mite necks on quite a few of my basses, and I even put one on my American Standard precision, its a Jazz neck because I prefer a narrower nut width, and it plays superb.

As Jezzaboy said, if you like it, and it plays well and the price is right, go for it.

Logo is large TV style, seen on late 60's-76 Jazz basses with block and bound necks (and reissues of that era) not dots.

I'm certain it's just a bitsa, and not a genuine fender.

But that's not to say it's no good. And if it's cheap enough...it looks good.

yes exactly. it all depends really on the price. jst wanted to know what i was buying more than anything. if its not a genuine jazz bass, thats fine as long im not paying that sort of price.

so the neck is defenetly a replacement by the looks of it. and the hole is a screwdriver puncture or slip.

what iv noticed also is its heavyer than my squire jazz. dose that mean anything?