Why become a member? ×

The Oxfordshire bass gang

FinnDave

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Quick heads up for the Oxfordshire gang, it's blues open jam at Fat Lils in Witney this coming Sunday after, and we (The Wirebirds) are host band. This means any bass layers (or players!) who fancy sitting in for a song or two will be using my amp. Not decided whether that'll be the Ashdown touring 330 combo or the ABM 500 head and Barefaced Super Twin. Bring your own bass or whatever you fancy playing. We had a bagpiper on stage with us recently, so anything goes![/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Be good to see a few of you there. Or even all of you![/font][/color]

Edited by FinnDave

[quote name='mentalextra' timestamp='1474531242' post='3138553']
Sounds like fun. They really know how to let their hair down in Witney! :D
[/quote]

We sure do! Perhaps we can get our recently departed MP to come along and sing '(I tried to do it) My Way'. As a blues, obviously.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1474536746' post='3138613']
Are there many "bass layers" in Oxfordshire?

It sounds like a fun pastime - I might need some instruction on exactly how to lay my bass first though
[/quote]

Oops. not there aren't, but there are some really bad typists!

Instructions on how to lay a bass....take your bass, open the case and place (laying it down) carefully inside. The close the case and bring it to the blues jam on Sunday!

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Burrito' timestamp='1474542579' post='3138661']
I'm playing in West Berkshire that night but did want to say that Fat Lil's is a great venue for anyone who doesn't know it.
[/quote]

Yeah its a great venue with a very cool sound man who will happily DI your amp B) and work with you to get the sound you want.

Brings back a silly mermory for me too

I sold my V8 Rover SD1 at the WOMA in the 90's and i got £25 for it. It was a bit of a mess though.

Anyways, the minimum fee for selling is £25 so i went home with nowt. The following week, in the post, i opened a letter to find a cheque from WOMA.

Yup, it had £00.00 on it. It cost them a first class stamp, plus the bank charge for writing a business cheque for zero. Go figure

Fat Lils this afternoon! We'll be setting up from three and playing by around half past. Come along, bring something to play or just come and listen. Say hello to the house band bass player if you do turn up! (Though I might be a bit vague, played a long gig last night and crawled into bed at half four).

Well, an entertaining afternoon at Lils. We owned and played 4 or 5 songs, then let the rest of the gang there use our gear, which was educational, not having heard my amp from out front before. I was tired after last night that I was nodding off in front of the PA, so moved outside so the cool air would wake me up (it didn't). Got called to play a few more songs to close and was drifting towards sleep while standing up and playing. That's a first, anyway!

• 1 month later...