Why become a member? ×

6 string basses

Kiwi

[quote name='cheddatom' post='301904' date='Oct 8 2008, 08:52 AM']Where? The schecter I played in Rythm house, and the Tobias was in academy of sound. I've not been up to hanley recently. Is there anywhere else? I know route 66 went bust.[/quote]

I was refering to mine,hence the wink. Although I did get my Ibanez from Academy of Sound.
Route 66 hasn't gone bust,it's just moved to a smaller shop across the road.

[quote name='Doddy' post='302150' date='Oct 8 2008, 01:39 PM']I was refering to mine,hence the wink. Although I did get my Ibanez from Academy of Sound.
Route 66 hasn't gone bust,it's just moved to a smaller shop across the road.[/quote]

Really? Oh, maybe I am confused. Last time I was there, Kays and Rythm house were both open, I didn't see any new shops or route 66 anywhere else, and they were gutting the old route 66 for the sex shop people.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='300930' date='Oct 7 2008, 12:03 AM']I was just having a plonk on the Spector 6 this evening and comparing it to the Smith 6 that I used to own. Both basses had strong and weak points. I was thinking that there are certain basses that have good and bad points depending on the genre but I'm not aware that I've ever seen strong opinions about great 6 string basses expressed here. Does anyone feel like putting a case forward for a 6 string they've tried and liked?[/quote]

You need to state minimum standards for posters who might follow up your question. I've spent a total of a few minutes playing a Yamaha TRB1006 unplugged. It was (probably is) for sale in Cash Generators in Derby. I spotted it there and asked to have a look. The shop assistant took it off the wall and basically put it straight into my hands.

My experience is limited, but it felt really nice. Unsurprisingly this £499 (about £700 new?) instrument felt a bit nicer to play than my £120 s/h (about £250 new) bass. I didn't find the neck too wide at all, in fact it felt really comfortable. I was sitting so didn't feel the weight, but the whole thing just felt "right". Again, I'm not experienced enough to tell, but it felt well set up.

At present I have only one bass, and this is likely to continue for some time. And spending £500 on a bass right now just isn't sensible. But I must admit there's a nagging temptation there. Fortunately I can resist such temptations.

I took a photo of the bass, which I have attached.

[quote name='Annoying Twit' post='302456' date='Oct 8 2008, 07:18 PM']You need to state minimum standards for posters who might follow up your question.[/quote]
I can't reasonably anticipate all the ways in which members might interpret the original post. All I'm trying to determine is whether there's any consensus over what makes a decent 6 string.

[quote name='Annoying Twit' post='302456' date='Oct 8 2008, 07:18 PM']My experience is limited, but it felt really nice. Unsurprisingly this £499 (about £700 new?) instrument felt a bit nicer to play than my £120 s/h (about £250 new) bass. I didn't find the neck too wide at all, in fact it felt really comfortable. I was sitting so didn't feel the weight, but the whole thing just felt "right". Again, I'm not experienced enough to tell, but it felt well set up.[/quote]

A decent 6str is one 6str that has the least of limitations and allows for a multitude of applications. The tone (though highly subjective) should be even across the board and strings and be versatile enough to fit the styles needed by the player. The bass (or a line/model) should be consistent in terms of ergonomics, playability and most important tone

So far, the best 6str basses that I have played and heard are my Dingwalls (please look at my avatar for a taste of what I mean). I have had the pleasure to own and play some very fine high-end/boutique 6str basses, only to find them falling short at one level or the other. I own three 6 string Dingwalls this very moment and even though they are not cheap, they are worth every penny

Edited by fullrangebass