Why become a member? ×

replacing EMG's

longtimefred

Yo!!

Recently had a NBD by getting an Iceni Zoot Jazz 5 by doing a trade on here. Lovely bass, great neck and nice chunky slab body. I just cant stand the EMG pickups and preamp that are in it. Sounds so sterile and far too much choice for my liking with the 3 band EQ with mid shift as well. Just cant seem to find any setting that sounds natural. My other basses are Sandbergs and have Haussel and Delano pickups in them paired with the standard Glockenklang pre amp which i love, never need to adjust anything on them.

I want to change out the EMG stuff for a pair of Nordstrand Big Singles and the same Glock pre amp that comes with the Sandbergs, just to get somewhere close to how they react. I have never changed out all the electronics on a bass before as have always been happy with whats in there. Do you guys think i will see a noticeable difference and get close to where i want to be as i have never done this before?

Cheers

Will

EMGs aren't sterile. They just have quite a flat response that passive fans aren't used to. They have a very clear signal.

Removing them is easy. Just take all of the kit out! Only the stereo jack will be able to be used with a new active system.

However - if the bass was built for EMGs then you might find there is no earthing to the bridge. Non-EMG systems need that. So you might need to drill a hole from the control cavity to the bridge to put an earth wire in.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1473953392' post='3134483']
Do you know what model EMGs you have?

If they are soapbars then all other EMG soapbars of the same size will fit - you might find that a different EMG model would suit you without having to rip everything out.
[/quote]
Quite a few brands make soapbars the same size as EMG, so the world is your oyster and [url="http://basschat.co.uk/forum/21-other-musically-related-items-for-sale/"]Other Musically Related Items For Sale[/url] is your friend!

Definitely try the X models instead (DCX for example) as they have a more traditional and slightly less hifi tone. Or if you want to try something a different size then the Alnico EMG's are really nice.

Coming away from EMG, well I love the Aguilar DCB - a great sounding passive pickup - The Delano SBC is very nice too but has a different flavour.

Nordstrand, I think the big singles are superb and would love to give more of Carey's products a test drive for sure.

My 'grunty' pickup of choice is a Dimarzio P style but this may not fit the configuration! I need to try some J styles, just a shame Dimarzio don't do soap bars!

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1474061549' post='3135424']
Definitely try the X models instead (DCX for example) as they have a more traditional and slightly less hifi tone. Or if you want to try something a different size then the Alnico EMG's are really nice.

Coming away from EMG, well I love the Aguilar DCB - a great sounding passive pickup - The Delano SBC is very nice too but has a different flavour.

Nordstrand, I think the big singles are superb and would love to give more of Carey's products a test drive for sure.

My 'grunty' pickup of choice is a Dimarzio P style but this may not fit the configuration! I need to try some J styles, just a shame Dimarzio don't do soap bars!
[/quote]

EMG also do a passive range in the same soapbar format, it's called the HZ range. These will fit into your bass with no additional routing, etc but you may need to swap your pots for different values (I think these come with the pickups anyway). I once had an HZ set and was very impressed with them - warm and musical.

[quote name='longtimefred' timestamp='1473942410' post='3134332']
Yo!!

I want to change out the EMG stuff for a pair of Nordstrand Big Singles and the same Glock pre amp that comes with the Sandbergs, just to get somewhere close to how they react. I have never changed out all the electronics on a bass before as have always been happy with whats in there. Do you guys think i will see a noticeable difference and get close to where i want to be as i have never done this before?

Cheers

Will
[/quote]

Carey's Big Singles are GREAT pickups. You won't be disappointed..... and you can get them in EMG soapbar size covers: http://nordstrandpickups.com/products/big-singles/

Did you consider going all passive (no preamp at all) ? That will definitely ad some grunt as well!

Edited by gillento

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1474061549' post='3135424']

[/quote]

Cheers Dood, i will check out the DCX stuff.

[quote name='gillento' timestamp='1474100203' post='3135566']
Carey's Big Singles are GREAT pickups. You won't be disappointed..... and you can get them in EMG soapbar size covers: [url="http://nordstrandpickups.com/products/big-singles/"]http://nordstrandpic...ts/big-singles/[/url]

Did you consider going all passive (no preamp at all) ? That will definitely ad some grunt as well!
[/quote]

hhmmm interesting thought. i may look at that as an option! food for thought. I do love the passive grunt!

ok so had a bit of a breakthrough with these things yesterday, reset all my rig and tweaked a couple of things and got it sounding pretty darn good. I think i need to give them a chance now, still think that the 40DC may have to go and look at something else in the range. Heard good things about using 2 of the 40P to get more of a grunty fender vibe.

feeling better about them now which is nice! just needed a fresh input on things i think.