Why become a member? ×

Calling all Lefties.

MikeB

[quote name='16Again' post='31343' date='Jul 13 2007, 03:45 PM']I did the same thing! Your no freak! :)
I couldnt afford a left handed bass and didnt have the brain to turn it up side down, so i just learned right handed! I'm the same at golf, left handed but play right handed!

D.[/quote]

Same here!! Although when I occasionally dabble in drums, I go full on lefty.... which upsets sound techs at gigs like you wouldn't believe :huh:

I saw a left-handed piano once - no joke - keys were the other way round. Try wrapping your head round that :huh:

i think i might be a repressed lefty, brought up as a right handed person, i was forced to do stuff like write, hold a knife and fork and use a computer right-handed so it's what i got used to- it would at least explain my crappy writing. But i play right handed, also if you play a classical instrument like a violin you have to learn right handed because they don't make left handed models. A lot of left handed people also buy right handed guitars anyway just b/c they can't be arsed to trawl through websites hoping to at last find a decent quality left handed 6 string bass.

Edited by EdwardHimself

I went to London this week for a few days with the wife and decided to go for a trip to Charing Cross Road and Denmark Street. There must have been about 1000+ basses between all the shops, I counted 15 left handed basses. There was a lefty Wal in the Bass Cellar which was in poor condition, I didn't ask the price, and 2 Warwicks, Mexican Jazz, Precision and a couple of cheapies. In the other shops were the usual suspects, £200-£300 Chinese basses. I didn't bother going to the Bass Gallery as I think they only have 2 basses in stock that are left handed at the moment. :)

• 1 month later...

[quote name='metaltime' post='35660' date='Jul 22 2007, 07:29 PM']It would be a good idea for us lefties to start a lefty lookout club. So everytime somone finds out about a good deal or sees a bass for sale they post to let all the others no.

what do you think?[/quote]

sounds good to me, i saw this, havn't seen many of[url="http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/preowned_guitars_detail.asp?stock=px-G15ES642&guitars=8"]THESE[/url] around

• 2 months later...

[quote name='metaltime' post='18278' date='Jun 15 2007, 01:01 PM']I am left handed and play left handed basses.

I too used to get very frustrated with this but i have learned that finding your ideal bass is a lot more rewarding because you have to work for it. I am proud of my collection as i have battled hard to find it i feel like i have some very unique basses.

what does wind me up is the upcharge that companies charge. i think spector charges like ten or fifteen per cent on lefty models which is sick if you are already paying a fortune. the result is i avoid spectors.

Fender are another one and there policy on jazz basses does my head in they sell mex lh jazzes, japan lh jazzes american deluxe jazz basses but the wont make a regular american jazz left handed even tho they will do a p bass american grrr result i wont buy fender products.

I check ebay every day i search the internet all the time and if i see something i want at a good price i buy it i tend to buy it second hand that way if i dont like it i can gey my money back easier.

heres a tip leftybass.com dont no if you have seen it. if i saw my dream bass on there i would be willing to go try it out and get it even if it meant traveling in europe.

Andrew[/quote]

hey mate!! as a lefty who has a 77 jazz,modulus quantum 5, 79 ibanez musician, gb spitfire 4 loads more (even a lefty upright clifton bass) seriously check out Sandberg basses!! they come left handed no charge and will custom build you anything and the prices are ace.ice ordered a california m/j pickup fretless 4 from p.m.t in birmingham and told it'll be 2 months.check em out pal

• 4 weeks later...

I'm left handed and have always played left handed.

I know there are a lot of lefties who play right handed, but I never even considered the idea of trying to play right handed at the time because it just felt so natural for me to play left landed.

The first bass I played was a right handed no name P bass copy.

I asked for the strings to be swapped around so I could play it left handed.

Eventually got my first left handed bass a few months later - it was a Roland G5 I think.

I know only too well what you are saying about the difficulties of getting left handed models, and when they are available, the extra charges sometimes incurred for it being a left hand model.

I think that there are more instrument companies now than before that are trying to offer left handed models for the same price as right handed versions.

I know Musicman did when I bought 2 Stingrays back in 1997.

When I moved to Los Angeles 3 years ago, I thought I'd have no trouble at all finding another lefty P bass to go with the one I had brought with me.

The music stores out here are massive (compared to the ones in England) and although they have massive selections of instruments, it's the same old problem for the lefty.

I was told on more than one occasion that if I wanted to try a lefty bass which they did not stock, then I would need to put down a 50% deposit so that they could order it for me to try.

I was never comfortable with that arrangement and so I just carried on looking in the stores until I eventually found another P bass.

One thing about Fender that does bug me more than the price difference is their lack of options regarding the lefty American Standard Precision.

It's like they've done a Henry Ford and said "left-handed in all models as long as it comes with the S1 switching system."