Why become a member? ×

Good apps for running playlists at functions

scalpy

Hi, I need to use my iPad to run 'fake' dj playlists at weddings and functions with my band. Ideally I'd like to create a one size fits all playlist and just be able to run one track into the next easily. (I know I should be reading the room and playing suitable music etc...!) A quick Google search reveals a bewildering array of apps do I thought I'd ask here. Many thanks for your time.

Harry

Does Spotify run one song into another? We have used traktor dj before and just set it on auto. The mixing is pants that way though so on occasion I've recorded a mix myself and played it back on the night. I'm too busy talking crap with the band to get up and dj live these days lol.

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1470936905' post='3109499']
Does Spotify run one song into another? We have used traktor dj before and just set it on auto. The mixing is pants that way though so on occasion I've recorded a mix myself and played it back on the night. I'm too busy talking crap with the band to get up and dj live these days lol.
[/quote]

Exactly!

When there isn't a DJ I use Spotify. It doesn't beat match or anything fancy like that, but there's an option to reduce the time gap between songs which means if it's set right as one song ends the next one starts pretty much straight away. Some songs with long fade outs don't work so well with this but I've ended up cutting those from my playlists.

• 2 weeks later...

Been doing it with Spotify for a few years now. Whilst it's not got the features of "proper" DJ software, it's plenty for basic needs. I've got a template playlist that I use as a starting point and a shedload of playlists of extra stuff by genre/era all stored offline.

You can set a crossfade time so there's no awkward silence between tracks and can insert songs by adding them to the play queue without leaving your current playlist, so you can drop a request in then allow it to pick up where it left off.

I sometimes think I'd like something more feature-rich for it, but ultimately it's an endlessly large catalogue of music for a minimal monthly outlay, and simple as you like to use.

Of course, the T&Cs state that it's not to be used for public performance, but that's a whole different conversation!