Why become a member? ×

Withdrawn
£2500

BaconCheese

[quote name='bgmttt' timestamp='1470664542' post='3107450']
I'm sure this is a great bass but not a 69'. Body routing, thumbrest placement, Fender logo on the tuners-they all indicate after 1973. Pots are aftermarket, the body is stripped and repainted.
[/quote]bargin

[quote name='bgmttt' timestamp='1470664542' post='3107450']
I'm sure this is a great bass but not a 69'. Body routing, thumbrest placement, Fender logo on the tuners-they all indicate after 1973. Pots are aftermarket, the body is stripped and repainted.
[/quote]

I can add to these points, as the owner of an actual 1969 Precision.

The pickups should have a grey underside with a date code, not black.
The neck pocket appears to have a hint of sunburst red paint spray in it, suggesting it was that colour at some stage.
The pot codes aren't right for a 1969 - if anything the date codes suggest 1981.
And the black surround to the neck plate didn't come in until the 70s as far as I know.

Like the others have said here, it doesn't mean it's not a cool bass - but its non-original features will be reflected in the value.

Edited by bassbiscuits

[quote name='bassbiscuits' timestamp='1470676354' post='3107573']
I can add to these points, as the owner of an actual 1969 Precision.

The pickups should have a grey underside with a date code, not black.
The neck pocket appears to have a hint of sunburst red paint spray in it, suggesting it was that colour at some stage.
The pot codes aren't right for a 1969 - if anything the date codes suggest 1981.
And the black surround to the neck plate didn't come in until the 70s as far as I know.

Like the others have said here, it doesn't mean it's not a cool bass - but its non-original features will be reflected in the value.
[/quote]

We know now it's not a 69 bass. Neither can it be a 71, when it supposedly (!!) has been purchased.
The question remains: what do we see here?

[quote name='BaconCheese' timestamp='1470733317' post='3107940']
The alder chosen for this bass is very light and resonant- this is why I believed it to be a 1969 as I was told- it sounds just like my dear 1965 P-Bass. The brigde seems to be a 1960s as well. However, there is the same red stamp in the neck pocket as on the neck.
[/quote]
The thumb rest drilling would put it around 73-74 at least,earlier was below the G string,interesting stuff and really quite common for working basses to have been tinkered with down the years

Nice colour etc but.....no router hump underneath neck pocket = not early 70's and if the bridge position is 'correct' then it is definetely not early 70's. In other words could be anything.
Still for the right price...nice bass.

[quote name='BaconCheese' timestamp='1471039381' post='3110242']
According to this, it should be from 1971.

01 01 49 1 3

01 Precision

01 Rosewood

Week 49

1 = 1971

3 Wednesday
[/quote]

Well this is the coding scheme for 72-80...71 had a different numbering (at least what I have seen).