Why become a member? ×

Guitar Setup Expertise Claims

wishface

Right, I have just had a very interesting conversation with a guy in Bristol, whom I will not name at this time (I have no idea if he uses these forums anyway). His advice, regarding setups, was NOT to listen to videos, not to do what luthiers say, as many of them don't know how to set up a guitar even if they know the science. His advice was NOT to attempt to do this yourself because it is a task that requires a great deal of skill and knowledge. One cannot simply even adjust action without making proper adjustments elsewhere or, sooner or later, the neck will suffer.

This is person who says very few people have the PROPER level of expertise to perform this work.

Now I could go on. I don't personally know him. He could be the worlds biggest conm man. I don't have the expertise to tell him apart from someone else in the field.

On the other hand I have people here making knowledge clams of their own and Taking great personal offence when questioned.

I'm not one for mob mentality, but put the shovel down...

Is this the bit where the other thread went that well, you thought this would improve matters?

I didn't get involved on the other thread as you were given sound advice overall but didn't seem to want it.

If you're bending someone else's ear and they're telling you what you want to hear then go for it. Don't come back telling people who've offered you help that they've no clue what they're on about.

If you have to ask advice, how do you know which party telling you what to is in the right?

You could've been more gracious, that's all.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1470484135' post='3106317']
Yeah, yeah, and I've got a window-cleaner who'll tell you the same about windows.

What do you know of our qualifications anyway? Maybe we're far more qualified than your guy?

What are his qualifications?

IBTL
[/quote]no idea. I didn't ask. The respectful and friendly. Asking such in light of the depth of what he told me would have been rude. It was an informal chat, I didn't have my guitar with me.

Setting up a bass is generally quite easy as long as there are no pre-existing issues, manufactured or acquired. A setup by a good professional often beats what an average amateur can do, whilst a good amateur can often beat what an average professional can do. In short, there is absolutely no straight answer to your question, just opinion.

I would suggest that if you are struggling to get the setup you want however, that you take it to a [i]good [/i]professional to ensure that there are no issues.

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1470484522' post='3106321']
I'm not one for mob mentality, but put the shovel down...

Is this the bit where the other thread went that well, you thought this would improve matters?

I didn't get involved on the other thread as you were given sound advice overall but didn't seem to want it.

If you're bending someone else's ear and they're telling you what you want to hear then go for it. Don't come back telling people who've offered you help that they've no clue what they're on about.

If you have to ask advice, how do you know which party telling you what to is in the right?

You could've been more gracious, that's all.
[/quote] youre not getting it.

I was perfectly gracious and yet every thread ends up being trolled. I was told to speak to a technician. I have done so. That is what he told me. In complete contradiction to the other advice given by the same people who told me to speak to a technician.

You can't have it both ways, I have no idea who had been giving sounds advice because so far ask that I have been told had been in contradiction. This is what you are all missing. So who do I listen to, people on here and follow their free advice, or listen to the peeps they send me to talk to who will charge what could be a considerable sum of money.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1470485621' post='3106329']
Setting up a bass is generally quite easy as long as there are no pre-existing issues, manufactured or acquired. A setup by a good professional often beats what an average amateur can do, whilst a good amateur can often beat what an average professional can do. In short, there is absolutely no straight answer to your question, just opinion.

I would suggest that if you are struggling to get the setup you want however, that you take it to a [i]good [/i]professional to ensure that there are no issues.
[/quote]. That doesn't appear to be the case and given the divergence of at times contradictory views, offered st times with prejudice, how do I know an expert from a person with an opinion?

Of course he'll rubbish the forum advice and tell you he can sort it if he's charging the thick end of £100 for a set up.

Anyhow, I don't get it, so I'm off.

Hope there's a solution for your problem - I suspect there is, but it'll be a long road before that solution presents itself.

Edited by AndyTravis

[quote name='wishface' timestamp='1470485948' post='3106337']
. That doesn't appear to be the case and given the divergence of at times contradictory views, offered st times with prejudice, how do I know an expert from a person with an opinion?
[/quote]

The best way of identifying expertise is by consensus and reputation. There are some luthiers/technicians about whom you will simply not hear a bad work spoken, Martin Simms springs to mind, although I've no idea how far away you are from him.

However, it sounds like your issue is one of not fully understanding simple human nature - that there is a variety of opinion on everything - and the associated need to seek all perspectives and then work it out for yourself, as opposed to not understanding bass setup per se, so I doubt this post will help much either :)

If the guy in Bristol is the only guy In the UK qualified and able to do setups then OP you owe it to the community to post this person's details. This man is miraculous.

Who taught him anyway? Or is he the sole person in the whole world with the capacity to calculate the fine details of the Ultimate Set up?
Was it him who taught Leo Fender?
Are you saying that Fender's setup instructions are wrong? Or did he write these instructions?
How do the world's leading bass players manage without thia man's unique skills? Or do they all tread the hallowd path and go to this wonderful being?