Why become a member? ×

Help please. "Kettle" lead fuse advice

karlfer

I went into the local electrical superstore to buy a kettle lead for my beer boiler and the staff there tried to sell me an iec13 connector. They didn't know the difference and I had to unbox an actual kettle and show them the difference before they would believe me.

[quote name='naxos10' timestamp='1470398187' post='3105722']
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Grangur:[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]"Ahhh, but what you're missing is that there must be discrimination between the fuse in the lead and the fuse in the amp. That is to say that if there is a fault in the amp, the 3amp fuse inside the amp must blow before the one in the lead (designed to protect the lead) even gets excited enough to even think about blowing. (There's a technical term for this, but i can't remember and I can't be arsed)"[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Would that term you were thinking of be Backup and Discrimination?[/font][/color]
[/quote]
"Pre-arching" - just remembered it. It's about 20 years since I worked as a electrical design engineer.

The fuse in a piece of equipment must fail before the fuse of the circuit supplying it - even if it's the extension lead, or kettle lead, reaches the point of it's pre-arching current.

I can't use anything other than a 13amp in the lead for the SWR SM1500. Even with the inbuilt soft start, the amp will blow the kettle lead fuse on start up. I've had the amp checked out and all is well.

[quote name='taunton-hobbit' timestamp='1470508147' post='3106489']
JPJ - that worries me - what mains fuse is in the amp - is it a slo-blow?
(I would have expected the amp fuse to easily pop first)

:mellow:
[/quote]

The amp actually has two circuit breakers (one for each amp). The mains fuse has only blown when I've been using the amp in bridged mono mode, and only in the odd venue where the mains supply hasn't been the best. The breakers themselves have never tripped, which is why I got my local tech to check the amp over.