Why become a member? ×

Unplugging an active bass when not in use

Guest MoJo

It is the sort of thing you learn from...leaving the lead in drains the battery IME and you don't get that much warning on a gig... a couple of pops and maybe a distorted signal and then it gives up.
You only do this once and then you learn to pre-empt it.

I'll have a passive option on the bass as well..

I always unplug my bass when not in use, like others have said leaving the cable plugged in runs the batteries down in a few short weeks rather than months. One of my basses uses 2 x 9v batteries and are supposed to last only 20hrs! Fortunately the batteries in that one are primarily for backup and the main power comes from the external mains power supply. Even so I don't leave leads pugged in when not in use as they are an accident waiting to happen.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1470846088' post='3108921']
switching it to passive does not prevent it from using up the battery, 'though. The circuit is powered up as long as you have a jack in the socket.
[/quote]

Every days a school day!

Need to try get the same battery as this one once it dies. Seems to have infinite charge.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1470142946' post='3103545']
My bartolini lasts about two weeks if you leave the Jack in, over two years with the Jack in seams overly good unless there is a passive option you leave it on?
[/quote]

No passive option. I do mute the amp, wonder if that removes the signal to the pickups?

Edited by Burg